Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my car (2012 Brembo GT) was lowered as part of the dealer installed "Roush package" and has Roush lowering springs and IMO the handling is excellent. However, I am aware that the factory hardware doesn't last as long or perform as well on a lowered car.

When as was at the performance shop in Richmond, they suggested the Ford Racing shocks / struts. I would probably also add a BMR panhard bar ... not sure of the rear end is off-center but as I understand it it HAS to be at least slightly off on a lowered car.

So, if the Ford Racing stuff any good? Should I spend more for the adjustable Ford Racing package? Or is the standard stuff with the panhard bar and maybe new LCA's a better package? I don't track the car ... just enjoy tearing up the windy Virginia country roads.

If the extra $$$ for the adjustable package worth it if you're not tracking the car?

Thanks.

·
The Blue Dragon
5,661 Posts
IMHO it's a waste to get the adjustables if you do not track the car. If you're an avid windy road destroyer, they may be for you. I know one car that does not drag or autox but absolutely loves his Koni yellows

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Will the ford racing fixed struts and shocks perform better than the stocks? If so, how so?

In general, what could I expect after the upgrade from the stocks? Sorry, I don't know a whole lot about suspension components and how they individually affect handling.

Also - any idea on how the FRP setup compares to the Eibach Pro-Damper shocks and struts?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Been reading heavy on this a while, trying to get a certain shop to get their ****e together and give me an estimate on a BMR setup (optimal from what I have found thanks to a link from a member here).

I have only played with motors... Everything else I know is conjecture and reading. That being said, please tell me you h
Already have a panhard or watts setup? You can't lower without it, bless you don't mind your axle sitting off to one side.

I am trying to find out what is best for carving corners but also handling 570 to the rear. From what I have been told (or sold) it is LCAs, a UCA and sway bars minimum. Hotchkis also makes cross members that are really enticing. Very curious to hear what others here say other than 'get LCAs and a panhard'. If you go too deep on this forum people tend to telyou to try s197, so you might want to register there as well.

Edit: if you have stock dampers, you are working outside of their intended range (a full inch). That means they are not working properly and will also wear out sooner

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Been reading heavy on this a while, trying to get a certain shop to get their ****e together and give me an estimate on a BMR setup (optimal from what I have found thanks to a link from a member here).

I have only played with motors... Everything else I know is conjecture and reading. That being said, please tell me you h
Already have a panhard or watts setup? You can't lower without it, bless you don't mind your axle sitting off to one side.

I am trying to find out what is best for carving corners but also handling 570 to the rear. From what I have been told (or sold) it is LCAs, a UCA and sway bars minimum. Hotchkis also makes cross members that are really enticing. Very curious to hear what others here say other than 'get LCAs and a panhard'. If you go too deep on this forum people tend to telyou to try s197, so you might want to register there as well.

Edit: if you have stock dampers, you are working outside of their intended range (a full inch). That means they are not working properly and will also wear out sooner
Well, if the rear axle is not centered, it certainly appears to be centered. As I understand it, that not possible, so if it's off it's certainly not readily noticeable. That said, I want it to be right.

I think I'll probably go with non-adjustables and the BMR PHB ... I suspect that I can install the PHB myself (I watched the CJ Pony video, looked pretty straightforward, I assume you can't do it on ramps, you'd need jackstands?), the other stuff is probably beyond my tools and talent.

Understand the issue with the stock dampers ... the shop pointed this out. As of right now, they still seem OK, so it's not urgent ... but I'll replace them next month, hopefully.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All due respect, but if it was not possible, a panhard bar or watts linkage would not exist. Just sayin
What?

I said that as I understand it it's not possible for your axle to NOT be off-center if your car is lowered due to the nature of PHB's. That was how it was explained to me. Although visually mine looks OK, I acknowledge that it's probably off, and thus want a new PHB to be part of my upgrades.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Sway bars help out a whole lot

They did on my car

·
The Blue Dragon
5,661 Posts
mmike87 said:
Well, if the rear axle is not centered, it certainly appears to be centered. As I understand it, that not possible, so if it's off it's certainly not readily noticeable. That said, I want it to be right.

I think I'll probably go with non-adjustables and the BMR PHB ... I suspect that I can install the PHB myself (I watched the CJ Pony video, looked pretty straightforward, I assume you can't do it on ramps, you'd need jackstands?), the other stuff is probably beyond my tools and talent.

Understand the issue with the stock dampers ... the shop pointed this out. As of right now, they still seem OK, so it's not urgent ... but I'll replace them next month, hopefully.
The big thing about replacing the dampers is for lowering, you will have dampers created to work in a lower height range as well as the fact that their damping rate will be a little more stiff to perform better in the twisties. I have had my car lowered for about the last 15k miles and still have stock dampers. A little bit of a rough ride but I'll wait a little longer to replace them

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
mmike87 said:
I hear mixed messages on that front ... some folks seem to think the stock sway bars are fine.

What sway bars did you install?
I have a 85 with a2.3 turbo I used the svo swaybars bc they don't make aftermarket for mine

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So, upon closer inspection, the axle is off (like I thought it had to be) and the car is pushed to the passenger side, which is supposedly how it's supposed to be. I swear I looked several times and it never looked off!

So, shocks and struts aside ... a BMR adjustable PHB is going to be on order. Does this affect handling at all, or is it purely an aesthetic thing?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the ford racing adjustable handling kit on my 11 GT with the ford racing Adjustable PHB. I love my set up. The only thing is that the PHB is a little noisy going over bumps and up steep drive ways. The dealer where i had the kit installed told me the PHB doesn't come with bushings so thats where the noise is coming from. I looked and the PHB clearly has rubber bushings. Maybe if I can find polyurethane bushings for it it will cut down on the noise. Overall I love my set up! Let me know if you have any questions

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am going to pick up the BMR PHB ASAP ... looks simple enough to install myself on some jack stands.

I am going to ask Performance Auto about the shocks and struts - they suggested the Ford Racing non adjustables but for a little over $100 more the Tokico adjustable setup looks pretty attractive.

·
Registered
517 Posts
mmike87 said:
What?

I said that as I understand it it's not possible for your axle to NOT be off-center if your car is lowered due to the nature of PHB's. That was how it was explained to me. Although visually mine looks OK, I acknowledge that it's probably off, and thus want a new PHB to be part of my upgrades.
My intake, I had read the opposite.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts