Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Admin
5,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got to the Don Garlits museum this July 4th weekend. It had been on my "bucket list" for quite awhile. Had to use the restroom, and as I walked back to the gift shop, there he was, making a rare visit to check on things, as the ticket employee put it. He was very happy to pose for a pic. At the young age of 82, he's in great shape:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
It's always fun to meet the legends of a sport, hobby, or interest.

I would have wanted to talk about racing all day.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Bucko.........are you 6' 8" or is Garlits about 5' tall?
Roth, Prudomme, Tv Tommy Ivo, Amato...........the drag racers of today owe all of those old guys a huge debt.........Garlits was one of a kind though -- congrats on getting to meet him!:thumb:

·
Admin
5,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'm 6' 1" and he's short!

He's a bit hard of hearing (go figure after drag racing for years); I had to speak a bit louder, and into his left ear. Very cool guy; took me over to his private garage where he still works on restoring cars. He's a big MOPAR guy, but appreciates the other makes. I happened to have the Mustang Evolution shirt on that day, as he noticed.

He's very active; rides a bike several miles a week, and still works out on a bowflex. I need to be more like that!

He has several museums at the location; tons of antique cars, dating bact to the early turn of the century. Then the drag and funny car museum, and then the engine room. Drool....lots of Smoky Yunick stuff as well.

It was a great honor to meet him.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts