Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So wanting to find this metallic grind i have, its hard to explain its like metallic grinding for an instant as you pass thru certain RPM bands...for instance when the car is cold, and I hit 3k rpm it has a quick instant metallic grind that you hear for .5 sec as your passing over 3k when cold...any ideas? I've heard of a few other people having a similar type problem but wanted to explain my exact situation. Thanks guys....also at WOT I hear a slight rattle when my window is open that sounds like is coming from the front drivers tire area, could this be clutch chatter or rattle? TOB rattle (squeaks a bit now but that's oh so very common on these mustangs).

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
I was gonna say if it was towards the rear it'd be your catback. Just for future I know this ain't your problem now but it might start rattling. But hope someone else chimes in

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was gonna say if it was towards the rear it'd be your catback. Just for future I know this ain't your problem now but it might start rattling. But hope someone else chimes in
Definitely toward the front of the car, thanks 1low!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Does it do it while in gear or while just in neutral?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Could be a synchro goin bad does it do it in all gears or one in specific

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Could be a synchro goin bad does it do it in all gears or one in specific
All gears..only hear it for that split second when your passing right over 3k rpm when the car is NOT up to temp.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Is the tranny fluid within levels?

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is the tranny fluid within levels?
Yes sir....thought that was the problem, changed my tranny fluid to what tremec recommends 3.2 qts Mobil 1 synthetic atf...didn't help..did smooth shifting but noise is still there

---------- Post added at 06:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 PM ----------

I hate it so much I refuse to drive it cold unless I have to, I will start it up and let it warm for 5-10 now before driving it cuz the noise freaks me the F out lol

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Hope you figure it out! I would let it warm up till you figure it out

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hope you figure it out! I would let it warm up till you figure it out
Appreciate it 1low..me too :( lol it doesn't sound like a horrible/bad grind, it's almost a jolt of a metallic scrapping type noise..hopefully it's just an exhaust hanger or something and when it gets hot it expands thus stopping the noise, it's my best guesstimate as to what it is but I am no mechanic.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Appreciate it 1low..me too :( lol it doesn't sound like a horrible/bad grind, it's almost a jolt of a metallic scrapping type noise..hopefully it's just an exhaust hanger or something and when it gets hot it expands thus stopping the noise, it's my best guesstimate as to what it is but I am no mechanic.
Could be....i would check under the car for the exhaust. If u can take a vid of when it happens maybe we could figure it out

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Could be....i would check under the car for the exhaust. If u can take a vid of when it happens maybe we could figure it out
Very hard cuz it's not an extremely loud noise, it's a tad quiet video camera may not pick it up

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Get under it and have somebody rev it up
Only does it when driving in gear..when it's cold and I can hear it in all gears only for a split second when crossing over 3k rpm...seems to me like it must be something underneath touch/rubbing or something, and when it heats up it causes it to expand thus stopping the noise..

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Have u tried to keep it at the rpm at which it grinds on fpr a while. See if keeping it at where u hear the grind on that rpm is constant or not. It may be something rubbing like exhaust or not.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Have u tried to keep it at the rpm at which it grinds on fpr a while. See if keeping it at where u hear the grind on that rpm is constant or not. It may be something rubbing like exhaust or not.
Ill try that tonight..pretty sure I can

1 - 20 of 29 Posts