Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just purchased the mgw race spec shifter for my 2012 gt. I have to buy a new shifter ball but now that I'm looking at them some have different thread specs and weights . Any insight or should I just order one from the mgw website for 50 bucks and be done with it .

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Super Moderator
5,239 Posts
idk about today but when I got my MGW it came with your choice of shafts...one was MGW spec the other was OEM (1/2-20?) mine was used and came with the MGW shift ball which was very nice, but I wanted white so I sold that one and got one from SickSpeed (Ebay) they have a great selevtion. the MGW was a touch nicer but not enough to make me like black. Figure out what you have for thread on the shift lever and go from there.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
idk about today but when I got my MGW it came with your choice of shafts...one was MGW spec the other was OEM (1/2-20?) mine was used and came with the MGW shift ball which was very nice, but I wanted white so I sold that one and got one from SickSpeed (Ebay) they have a great selevtion. the MGW was a touch nicer but not enough to make me like black. Figure out what you have for thread on the shift lever and go from there.

Thatnk you very much

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Mine was same as stock. I have the T56 tranny now and it is different. they are pretty helpful though so they would be more than happy to help I am sure

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
My race spec was the same thread as stock and I used the white steeda shift ball and collar I had on the stock shifter with no issues

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My race spec was the same thread as stock and I used the white steeda shift ball and collar I had on the stock shifter with no issues

Did you need to buy a jam nut? Because mine didn't come with one .

·
Registered
737 Posts
You have to buy a jam but if you don't get a ball from MGW, I got their gripper and weighted knob and it's great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You have to buy a jam but if you don't get a ball from MGW, I got their gripper and weighted knob and it's great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok I'll probably just buy one from mgw then

·
Super Moderator
5,239 Posts
reminder to put teflon tape on the shaft threads if you don't have a jam nut to prevent unscrewing.

typing shaft, nut, and screwing in the same sentence made me somewhat uncomfortable.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
reminder to put teflon tape on the shaft threads if you don't have a jam nut to prevent unscrewing.

typing shaft, nut, and screwing in the same sentence made me somewhat uncomfortable.

Lol I was uncomfortable just reading it.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I think in the absence of a jam nut some medium (blue) loctite would work better than teflon tape.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Take Mud's advice. Teflon tape is the way to go for this application.

·
Super Moderator
5,239 Posts
I believe so (but different mfrs have diff colors)...but use the tape. Wrap several layers around the shaft threads it works. If you have a jam nut it's not needed.

The problem with loctite is normally you get it to release with heat (fire type heat!) so if you ever want to remove it you'll have trouble

1 - 18 of 18 Posts