Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my parents got me a short throw for christmas but its for the t5/45 and i have the 3650 so i sold it to my buddy and im gonna get the mgw since ive only heard good things about this shifter. Is this the best short throw out there? From what i have read this is my understanding.

·
Registered
648 Posts
1996v6stang said:
Well my parents got me a short throw for christmas but its for the t5/45 and i have the 3650 so i sold it to my buddy and im gonna get the mgw since ive only heard good things about this shifter. Is this the best short throw out there? From what i have read this is my understanding.
I got mine for Christmas. I absolutly love it. It.makes it so much funner to drive

·
Registered
704 Posts
short answer: YES

long answer: YEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS.
The MGW is amazing. I've driven Steeda Tri-Ax, Pro 5.0, Hurst, and MGW (mine) and the MGW is absolutely the smoothest and quietest. It's just so damn versatile too. Any shift-arm angle, any direction, any height, any firmness of shifting, and any combination thereof.
It came with so much sound deadening that I had to layer it on itself to use it all (might as well, it was free). It has the strongest centering springs in the industry so it's all but impossible to miss third when your banging gears or just easily shifting. Mine is set as firm as possible, so it clicks into gear and I have no doubt at all that I'm fully engaged before popping the clutch out and hammering it

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
After 8 years of driving Miatas (often described as "shifting with the precision of a fine rifle bolt") the first thing that had to go when I got my GT was the rubbery monkey-motion stock shifter--the MGW is the only STS out there that is a complete redesign of the stock unit--I.e. finest kind:

(click image to enlarge)

More about STS' in general here...

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would just like to say the mgw customer service is great. They say on the website that they dont ship to po boxes but im in the military so thats where i get all my mail. And they are gonna ship it to me anyways. Great customer service!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have a MGW and I put it in fourth trying for second quite a bit. Do you think it could be the position I have it in?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I have a MGW and I put it in fourth trying for second quite a bit. Do you think it could be the position I have it in?
You need to pull the lever back with a bit of side force toward your left knee when shifting from 1st to 2nd to overcome the centering spring. From 2nd to 3rd just push the lever forward and let the centering spring do its thing.

3rd to 4th is just pull straight back. 4th to 5th push forward with a bit of force to the right.

Coming down from 5th to 4th just pull back and let the spring move the lever sideways, 4th to 3rd push straight forward, 3rd to second pull back and to the left a bit. 2nd to 1st push forward and to the left.

Don't try to "horse" it, or think too much about it. After a while you will find that you will have shifted and not even realised it...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Thanks. I only seem to do it when I'm not really paying attention. Like the first time shifting to second on my way to work in the morning.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
It's because the centering spring is much stronger than that of the stock shifter...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts