Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a BBK x-pipe but due to my car being lowered and California roads it's time to replace. My question was should I go o/r x or h pipe and is there any brands to stay away from? Thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
X or H is pretty much about preference, some people like X's and will promote them all day and some will say H's, it's all about what you think sounds better

·
Banned
699 Posts
The hole point behind the "H or X" pipe is simple to equilize presure from the right and left banks of the car how ever the h pipe has a distinct sound as well as the x pipe so the best advice one could give u would be... Try to watch some clips of both them and see which sound u fancy more... remeber the diamater of the pipe (ex...3in vs 2in) is going to determan how deep the sound will go and what tips are used also makes a huge diffrence ( as well as length of the pipes) finding the perfict note for u just takes a little trial and error b4 u get it just right.... Personally i prefer the sound of no cross over "true duals" in the 3in varity no cats small mufflers and 4x12in tips out the sides b4 the rear tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea I understand it's just preference in sound, and that the X is deeper and the H is more raspy....I was just wondering what people had to say. I'm leaning toward an H pipe but also wondering what brands people would recommend or recommend I stay away from? It will be goin on a 1999 cobra as I'm sure you guys gathered from my profile pic and user name! Lol!

·
Registered
262 Posts
For an X Pipe I would go with Bassani. More expensive than other brands but it's the best out there. For an H pipe, BBK will do. What type of muffler/Catback you running?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm that's interesting that's what I was told. Guess I was mis informed! I'm actually running the BBK catted xpipe with single chamber flowmasters.....but wanting/needing to do the change

·
Registered
262 Posts
I understand. Lol do the O/R x pipe. You'll be plenty satisfied. It's going to sound like what you have now but louder, raspier, and more intense. The Flowmaster should help cut down on the rasp though.

·
Registered
262 Posts
X pipe ftw lol.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
It hasnt been mentioned yet, but i LOVE the Mac Prochamber!! Its a little bit more expensive but [email protected] it sounds amazing. I have long tubes with the O/R Prochamber and flow 40s. It has a nice deep soft rumble at idle, but REALLY opens up when you hammer it!

·
Banned
699 Posts
CodyNelson said:
It hasnt been mentioned yet, but i LOVE the Mac Prochamber!! Its a little bit more expensive but [email protected] it sounds amazing. I have long tubes with the O/R Prochamber and flow 40s. It has a nice deep soft rumble at idle, but REALLY opens up when you hammer it!
+1 im looking into that setup for the 351w when its done

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've always been curious about the prochamber. How does it compare to the x pipes and h pipes?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
TheJigShow said:
I've always been curious about the prochamber. How does it compare to the x pipes and h pipes?
It's more of an H pipe. It has a deeper throaty sound. Before i bought mine, It was described to me as "the voice of 1000 angels singing from my tailpipes" lol and he was right

·
Banned
699 Posts
If u go m a c mid pipe i recomend doing the long tube headers as well and go with the 3 in pipes also get some tips like mine ull love the sound and they look stock (sept there 4in lol) i got mine at canadian tire there 4x12 slash cut chrome. The reason i like the mac header (asside from the sound) is how they bolt on. Its not a solid flange that will warp over time creating exhaust leaks its indavidual flanges over each exhaust hole which shouldnt warp or lift off so much cleaner less problems later id also go cermac coated it helps.

·
Registered
262 Posts
CodyNelson said:
It's more of an H pipe. It has a deeper throaty sound. Before i bought mine, It was described to me as "the voice of 1000 angels singing from my tailpipes" lol and he was right
Lol I like the sound of that. I plan on getting long tubes for my 97 so instead of doing an x pipe I might try out the prochamber.

---------- Post added at 06:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 PM ----------

Also, would Mac long tubes fit if I have an automatic transmission?

·
Registered
262 Posts
CodyNelson said:
Yep they sure will!
Thank god lol. I'll go with them then.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts