Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I got to test drive the new Subaru BRZ today. The salesmen was a great guy and let me have some fun with it. Went into a empty parking lot to start then took in on the streets for a good 10min or so. I have to say, I was very surprised. It handled better then any car I've ever driven. And its power, I thought was comparable to my 3.7. A little weaker but not by much. For only 200hp/151tq, it didn't really feel too underpowered. The car just felt great all around. Really enjoyed it, more then my 12 V6. Which I was very shocked about. The shifts were pretty good and short. Nothing to really complain about there. My only complaints would be the interior. It's a small car so obviously not much room. The interior quality wasn't anything to brag about. Back seats? Not sure why it has those. Should just have two. No trunk space either. The seats held you in very nicely though.

I am now seriously considering trading in my Mustang and Versa for one. Really like the car. I prefer my Mustangs interior by far but the BRZ gets better mpg's, handles better, is just as quick and by trading in both my cars will save me a lot of money. I love my Stang but I think this car just makes more sense for me right now. Not sure if I'll order it now or wait till the spring but I think I'm definitely going to get one.

·
Premium Member
8,133 Posts
It's understandable. Those cars handle very good and for the hp it's good, weight wise it's light. My next car will probably be on an awd platform

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Venomouz831 said:
It's understandable. Those cars handle very good and for the hp it's good, weight wise it's light. My next car will probably be on an awd platform
Yeah, I've done a lot of handling upgrades on my stang but it still doesn't compare. And I care more about handling then speed. And yeah an awd would be nice. I wish subie did an awd version of the ft86. Would be pretty awesome imo

·
Registered
744 Posts
The BRZ/FRS is not just as quick as a 2011+ V6 mustang. I believe the 0-60 time was around mid 6 and the 3.7 was mid 5's. But it probably does feel quick considering the power to weight ratio. I like the BRZ/FRS a lot, but for the price, no thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,133 Posts
CYCLON37 said:
Yeah, I've done a lot of handling upgrades on my stang but it still doesn't compare. And I care more about handling then speed. And yeah an awd would be nice. I wish subie did an awd version of the ft86. Would be pretty awesome imo
Lol tell me about it. My cars suspension is preety much tweaked up all the way and those stock brz and the scion frs are right behind me!

·
Registered
535 Posts
If you decide to do the trade in just keep in mind it has a boxer engine which means replacement parts and services(if you don't plan on doing all the maintenance) will be expensive. On those cars you nearly have to drop the engine to gain access for a spark plug change, I don't want to know what other surprises there is for servicing it. Thank god they use iridium plugs though, so most parts are probably quality. They're very nice cars, my friend has one, only down side is it won't have a v8 rumble. As mentioned prior, if or when they make an STI version would be the time to get one, that thing would walk 370's all day.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BlackedStang said:
The BRZ/FRS is not just as quick as a 2011+ V6 mustang. I believe the 0-60 time was around mid 6 and the 3.7 was mid 5's. But it probably does feel quick considering the power to weight ratio. I like the BRZ/FRS a lot, but for the price, no thanks.
The 3.7 is a bit more powerful yes but I'm telling you after driving both it isn't that big of a difference. And my cars tuned. And there's no way the stang will take a corner as quick no matter what mods you have and I care more about that then straight line speed. And I feel the the price is very good. Find me a car that handles better for the price? Only the Miata would be close but that has less power and doesn't look as nice imo.

---------- Post added at 08:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 PM ----------

fresh2death said:
Just wait for the Sti version to come out if youre going to trade both your cars for it.
Yeah, I may. With winter coming and all

---------- Post added at 08:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 PM ----------

Rosco said:
If you decide to do the trade in just keep in mind it has a boxer engine which means replacement parts and services(if you don't plan on doing all the maintenance) will be expensive. On those cars you nearly have to drop the engine to gain access for a spark plug change, I don't want to know what other surprises there is for servicing it. Thank god they use iridium plugs though, so most parts are probably quality. They're very nice cars, my friend has one, only down side is it won't have a v8 rumble. As mentioned prior, if or when they make an STI version would be the time to get one, that thing would walk 370's all day.
Yeah I hear ya. Just not sure when they're gonna come out with the STI. There's always the aftermarket for go faster parts.

---------- Post added at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 PM ----------

Venomouz831 said:
Lol tell me about it. My cars suspension is preety much tweaked up all the way and those stock brz and the scion frs are right behind me!
Really? Dang. I'm sure they fall behind a bit on a straight though lol. AutoX it's definitely the better car though.

·
Premium Member
8,133 Posts
CYCLON37 said:
The 3.7 is a bit more powerful yes but I'm telling you after driving both it isn't that big of a difference. And my cars tuned. And there's no way the stang will take a corner as quick no matter what mods you have and I care more about that then straight line speed. And I feel the the price is very good. Find me a car that handles better for the price? Only the Miata would be close but that has less power and doesn't look as nice imo.

---------- Post added at 08:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 PM ----------

Yeah, I may. With winter coming and all

---------- Post added at 08:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 PM ----------

Yeah I hear ya. Just not sure when they're gonna come out with the STI. There's always the aftermarket for go faster parts.

---------- Post added at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 PM ----------

Really? Dang. I'm sure they fall behind a bit on a straight though lol. AutoX it's definitely the better car though.
Yea lol like 2 seconds behind me and i have coilovers, sway bars, cc plates, mm k member, and tires

·
Registered
526 Posts
Nice car, but over priced for what you get IMO. Pretty much the same specs, worse interior, and quite a bit smaller. For 27-30k it would kill me not to buy a 5.0 with that money. But seeing that insurance, fuel economy and a winter car is still a factor for you, then I can see your reasoning.

We would hate to see you go. :-( But can I have your quad pipes? ;-)

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
there is a mustang vs the scion or the subie i cant remember on youtube. 10 min video... might give you more insight. its your ride so you gotta be happy.

·
Registered
289 Posts
If you were going to get a car like that get a 370z you will have the power and everything

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
dgrum04 said:
Nice car, but over priced for what you get IMO. Pretty much the same specs, worse interior, and quite a bit smaller. For 27-30k it would kill me not to buy a 5.0 with that money. But seeing that insurance, fuel economy and a winter car is still a factor for you, then I can see your reasoning.

We would hate to see you go. :-( But can I have your quad pipes? ;-)
The car just feels a lot better. I liked how it drove over my stang and I love my stang! The handling was just on another planet. And you know, the one thing I would hate? Seeing my car on the road being driven by someone else. I think that would kill me!!! Lol. Might have to part it out and return it to stock first lol.

---------- Post added at 10:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------

pwrby4d said:
there is a mustang vs the scion or the subie i cant remember on youtube. 10 min video... might give you more insight. its your ride so you gotta be happy.
Yeah, I've seen it along with countless other vids and reviews. But I thought the best way was to go down and actually drive it myself.

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 PM ----------

Schram1 said:
If you were going to get a car like that get a 370z you will have the power and everything
Yeah, but with the options I "need" it would be $40kish. And it gets like 26 mpg's compared to subies 34 or 36 whatever it is

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Check out the video here.

Now this is A totally stock Mustang as well as A Totally stock BRZ.

Watch this:::
Subaru BRZ vs Ford Mustang! - Head 2 Head Episode 7 - YouTube

The Mustang was faster around Willow Springs then the BRZ. Do A few suspension mod's and the Mustang would do it even faster.

The Mustang still looks a whole lot better. :cool:
You think that BRZ gets better MPG. Maybe if you are doing a nice very steady speed but when you run it hard the MPG is about 1/2 of what you expected.

If you think you will be happy with the Toyota go ahead and get it. Just remember these words of wisdom" Any new car you test drive will feel great at first." But will it feel good in a month?

If you want a car that will out handle them both and outrun almost every car you can think of in the corners go test drive a Mini Cooper Factory John Cooper Works model.

Me-"I'll just stay with my Mustang"

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
ronnie948 said:

The Mustang was faster around Willow Springs then the BRZ. Do A few suspension mod's and the Mustang would do it even faster.

You think that BRZ gets better MPG. Maybe if you are doing a nice very steady speed but when you run it hard the MPG is about 1/2 of what you expected.

If you think you will be happy with the Toyota go ahead and get it. Just remember these words of wisdom" Any new car you test drive will feel great at first." But will it feel good in a month?

If you want a car that will out handle them both and outrun almost every car you can think of in the corners go test drive a Mini Cooper Factory John Cooper Works model.

Ronnie
+1

I totally get what you said in your first post, and for your situation, it makes sense. But, what would stop me-

You are losing a winter beater for it-so your new car is going in the snow, either this year or next.
You just ate the depreciation of your car, and mods. Now you are going to do it again with the ft86.
Some of those perks are perks now, but won't last.
True, each hp you gain in the ft will do more than one in the Stang. But it is easier to build power and shed weight in the Stang.
You are about to pay 25k for a slower car, and start all over on building up your car.
Your fuel economy will start to reflect the Mustangs, after a tune, mods, beating on her.
Looks...
Available mods vs Mustang avail mods
Next year on the Subaru board, you will be leaving for the JCW lol

No disrespect, I hope you sell so I can get some cheaper mods lol, but financially, in bad a$$ness, and for the sake of the cars, it seems like the Mustang is a better deal.
But if you are sure the ft is right, then that is whats right for you.

I hope you aren't back in a month missing the beast you created :/

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ronnie948 said:

Ronnie
Seen the vid. The Mustang has the advantage on that open track but powers easy to make. No matter what suspension mods you do, the mustang won't out handle the brz. But I can easily make the brz more powerful.

The JCW's are alright. But it's just not for me. My bro is a big mini guy and he won't drive anything else but the car fits him. I just can't see myself owning one. It's not me. I've driven his cooper s and it handles like a go cart but I just don't really like it. Doesn't feel right :/

I didn't go test drive it with the intention of trading in my stang. I just wanted to see what all the hype was about. And after driving it, I really liked it. I'm not about to go there tomorrow morning and trade in my stang but I'm definitely considering it. Most likely, I won't do anything till next year though. Although I could try and sell the stang now and save some money over the winter. Car won't be driven much if at all over the winter anyway.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I want to test drive both the BRZ and the FRS. From what I understand the FRS is designed with a bit less understeer in mind, so I think that would probably be my favorite of the two.

·
It's not me, it's you.
6,752 Posts
You're gonna have to get a color matching ascot to wear around your neck when driving a BZR or FR-S because they're both pretty gay. :D

1 - 20 of 102 Posts