Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I was planning on staying with the six and going 4.2 and s/c. Now I think it would be more wise just to go V8 swap. I feel like Ive already wasted way too much on the six (I mean $3000 for about 30rwhp, wouldnt you say thats a waste?)
Anyways, what would be the best route for a V8-swap. I was thinking maybe i should go for an 03-04 cobra swap, but I think that would be a bit too expensive and very complicated. So maybe a 98 cobra swap... I wanna try to keep it street legal, so from what I understand, I cant go for any pre98 engines. Maybe a 5.4 trenton swap with a better cam or somthing? I dont know, just give me some ideas and I wanna try to keep the price of this swap under $10,000.

Thanks
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,890 Posts
It will be expensive to but not impossible to do a V8 swap but the best thing to do is get a GT or Cobra that has been wrecked and use it as a donor car or better yet just trade your car in for a GT or Cobra and save money, time and headache

As for how much HP you have gained in the V6 engine mods. How did you spend 3000 dollars????? Did you pay someone to install everything. I have also questioned your before mod dyno of 140.5 RWHP. Something tells me the dyno was way off because that is around what a 99+ auto would dyno at. I have never seen a stock 94-98 dyno more than 125RWHP and that was a 5 speed with bolt ons. MY car being a auto dynoed 116RWHP with bolt-ons. I still believe you have somew other issue with your car. The mods you have should clearly give you about 60+ HP gain at the very least.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
613 Posts
well a 03/04 cobra motor is gonna cost you 10-12k right there so your gonna need to find a donor for that route.

Im sure you could find pre 03 cobras around that have been wrecked, doubtful they have motors though. Same with the 99+ GT's, the 5.4 triton v8 would most likely be a complete PITA to find and install that seems more then 10k right there.

might aswell get just a crate motor from ford. they have 4v 4.6's for around 6k you can pick up a 340hp 5.0 crate motor for like 4k though.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,102 Posts
youll definatly need a donor, seeing as the 4.6 requires a different tranny, engine harness, tranny harness, EEC, engine compartment bracketry, and all kinds of those other small items you never think of

if you can get a hell of a deal, and your car isnt your daily driver, id say go for it, try to find a cobra with IRS, even do the IRS swap, might as well go all the way
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Danger Dude said:
It will be expensive to but not impossible to do a V8 swap but the best thing to do is get a GT or Cobra that has been wrecked and use it as a donor car or better yet just trade your car in for a GT or Cobra and save money, time and headache

As for how much HP you have gained in the V6 engine mods. How did you spend 3000 dollars????? Did you pay someone to install everything. I have also questioned your before mod dyno of 140.5 RWHP. Something tells me the dyno was way off because that is around what a 99+ auto would dyno at. I have never seen a stock 94-98 dyno more than 125RWHP and that was a 5 speed with bolt ons. MY car being a auto dynoed 116RWHP with bolt-ons. I still believe you have somew other issue with your car. The mods you have should clearly give you about 60+ HP gain at the very least.

Umm, well thats what the dyno chart showed... 140.5rwhp and 208.9rwtq

Let me see, I have the invoice somewhere... I know the BV heads- $1100 cut and weld upper- $450 ported lower- $150 Cam- $180 adjustable RR's- $340 new timing set- $80 throttlebody- $25 (from ebay) throttlebody work- $50 (RPM) plus a total of about $600 for all boltons

Which brings it to $2975 total in performance parts... :cry:

OHH and $300 for SCT chip!! -$3275 :cry: :cry: :cry:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,414 Posts
a 94-95 5.0 wouldn't require a new tranny, but a older one would just require a shorted input shaft. I definately think their is something wrong in your setup. You should be making about 50-60 more rwhp. to put you at about 190-200rwhp. I wonder if you have the same problem as I did. My cats were inpretty bad shape. Once Ifreed them up, I unleashed ~ 50rwhp and ~60rwtq. Your exhaust sytem is just as important as you induction system. Put it this way, you can only suck in as much as you can push out.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,890 Posts
Tbird232ci said:
why?

i know the 94-95 T5's have a longer bellhousing, by 3/4 of an inch, so i dont think the length of the input shaft makes a difference, since the bellhousing would take up the extra length

The fox body has a shorter wheel base also!!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,414 Posts
Tbird232ci said:
why?

i know the 94-95 T5's have a longer bellhousing, by 3/4 of an inch, so i dont think the length of the input shaft makes a difference, since the bellhousing would take up the extra length
Oops, i wrote that wrong, I ment a longer input shaft would be needed in a fox body T-5, but i was thinking because it was shorter and that's why i wrote short. Sorry bout the confusion. :p:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,414 Posts
Tbird232ci said:
i thought the bellhousing was lengthened for shifter placement? i guess Ford saw a longer bellhousing as killing 2 birds with one stone, using the same driveshaft and fixing shifter placement
Do you mean the 94/95 Bellhousing was lengthed? If so yes, and then a longer driveshaft was used as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think my cats are glogged badly as far as the six goes... I can hear the cats over my mufflers!! Sounds terrible too.

I dont know what im going to do... but for the next few months Im just going to concentrate on getting some stuff paid off so I am able to save more for car parts.
What I might do when the time comes is keep the six, and buy a cheap but decent 67-69 mustang body and then drop a new 351 Crate engine in it with a 750carb and long tubes. That should get me close to 400rwhp with the right cylinder heads. What kinda (manual) tranny should I look at buying with this kinda setup? driveshaft? rear end? Any other odds and ends?

Thanks!

BTW: I may get me some LT headers on the six with an off-road H to possibly free up some more power :good:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,890 Posts
Dont waste you money on long tubes just get a O/R H pipe and you will be happy.

My cats were so clogged that I gained 21 HP just by replacing them with a MAC O/R H pipe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, When I get the money, Im either going to get a donor car and swap engine... or just get another mustang period (either mach1 or older cobra)
If I were to do a swap say of a 99+ 4.6 (DOHC or SOHC) What would I have to do with the fuel system? I know that the 99+ stangs use returnless and mine doesnt. A friend of mine suggested that I drop my tank, block of the return line, stick a higher volume pump in and I should be ready to go... would that work? Would I need some custom fuel rail??
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,890 Posts
98GreenStallion said:
Well, When I get the money, Im either going to get a donor car and swap engine... or just get another mustang period (either mach1 or older cobra)
If I were to do a swap say of a 99+ 4.6 (DOHC or SOHC) What would I have to do with the fuel system? I know that the 99+ stangs use returnless and mine doesnt. A friend of mine suggested that I drop my tank, block of the return line, stick a higher volume pump in and I should be ready to go... would that work? Would I need some custom fuel rail??
Dont get a 99+ engine get a 96-98 GT engine and get 99+ heads and intakes. Actually 96-98 4.6 motors with 99+ heads make more HP then the 99+ motors. I have several friends that put 99+ heads and intakes on 96-98 GT motors and they were very satisified with the results
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,191 Posts
98Green - Id go over to V6power and talk to Stylin96 he just recently did a 5.0 swap into his V6 and it didnt cost him much so if you really wanna do a V8 swap Id go over there and talk to him cause his swap came out damn awesome and clean.

Hope that helps Good Luck
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top