Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ever since I went to the track on Sunday I've been having misfire issues on cylinders 5 and 6. I blew a spark plug on cylinder 6 and replaced all of those. I tried switching coil packs and the issue stayed with those two cylinders. I put a screwdriver on the injectors and could hear them ticking as well. There are no codes at all so I'm pretty much at a loss. Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm going to double check my spark plugs tonight just for peace of mind.

·
Premium Member
5,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I can see the wires look fine. I pulled the spark plugs and the spark plug from cylinder 5 doesn't look to have been fired at all. I can't get to it until tomorrow night but I'm gonna grab a test light and try to test the coil packs to see if they are getting any sort of signal to them

·
Registered
171 Posts
Just an idea. You could run it at night and look at the engine to see if the spark is arcing off the engine block somewhere. Possibly if you missed fried wire Do you have a multimeter ?

·
Premium Member
5,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I've got a multimeter. I've gotta heli-coil my spark plug again first because the first one didn't hold unfortunately. When I get off work I'll go check all my wires to see if they are fried or anything

·
Premium Member
5,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well I finally got a code out of the car. It's a P0306 if I remember correctly, cylinder 6 misfire. Any suggestions as to how to go about it?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Most likely the coil is shot. They are around 40 I believe at any parts store or junkyard for like 10-15. . Check if the spark plug is good first and gapped correctly.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
JDF said:
Yeah I've got a multimeter. I've gotta heli-coil my spark plug again first because the first one didn't hold unfortunately. When I get off work I'll go check all my wires to see if they are fried or anything
Get some green lock tite for the heli coil. It's expensive but It's permanent .

·
Premium Member
5,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Most likely the coil is shot. They are around 40 I believe at any parts store or junkyard for like 10-15. . Check if the spark plug is good first and gapped correctly.
I've got a spare coil laying around that I can try.
Get some green lock tite for the heli coil. It's expensive but It's permanent .
I'll have to see if I can find any. I've just been using high temp RTV silicone.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
The green loc tite is for industrial use, so it will be hard to find. At a minimum use red, silicone will not work.

·
Premium Member
5,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The green loc tite is for industrial use, so it will be hard to find. At a minimum use red, silicone will not work.
Alright I'll look out for that. I was just going off what the heli-coil package said to do.

·
Premium Member
5,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I've been pretty busy this week but I finally got my hands on a compression tester so I should be able to get that done tomorrow. I may toss a new spark plug in there just to make sure it isn't just a bad plug. A google search doesn't really show any promising fixes unfortunately. I noticed that it runs rougher when I run to my stock tune compared to when I run any of my Bama tunes. Running the stock tune nus also how I managed to get a check engine light.

·
Premium Member
5,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Found it! Somehow the gap on the cylinder 6 spark plug closed up on me. It worked its way down to a .046 gap when it should be at. 054-.056. I'm still having a slight bogging issue but new O2 sensors should fix that.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm at where you are I did at DIY o2 delete by soldering in a resister and capacitor I found in an old threes but am now getting a check engine light saying both front o2 are heated. Went away and came back after a premium fill up. I'm guessing I didn't insulate the wires correctly

1 - 14 of 14 Posts