Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My latest pony is a 2002 Convertible with a V6 automatic. I have only had it about a month. I have noticed that when the engine is cold, it starts fine, but when I shift into drive or reverse, the engine seems to misfire, or at least it feels and sounds that way. If I hold the brake it will do that for several minutes then go away. If I drive off it seems to run fine and go away quickly. Any guesses as to the cause out there?

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
have you done any of the basic cleaning things on it? MAF, IAC, fuel filter, TB, air filter

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Mine seems to have the same problem. I've cleaned the MAF and IAC. But I have yet to clean the throttle body. Will do that today and see what happens

·
Registered
916 Posts
well, like I said in that thread, I've got 3 days off coming up and I'm going to try cleaning out the EGR ports and see if that helps.

·
Registered
916 Posts
UPDATE:

I'm not sure if it has completely gotten rid of it but if it hasn't it has damn sure smoothed it out. I wasn't able to completely clean it but what little bit I was able to do with taking the upper intake Manifold off and some carb cleaner has helped tremendously

·
Registered
209 Posts
You probably need new spark plugs, I've seen this happen before when plugs get real old the gaps can close up and when you start your engine it runs real bad for a while until it warms up, that is the gaps opening back up again. Check your plugs and see.

·
Registered
916 Posts
its not the plugs, heres another post about this.

http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f133/t328654/#post1567915

that tells you what all i've done trying to remedy this issue. Add to that this past "weekend" i cleand the IAC and the EGR ports in the lower intake, and I have come to the conclusion that I am going to delete my EGR and my PCV hoses so i rid myself of the exhaust gases and the oil through the intake

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.