Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever had a miss with out a check engine light?? Cars idling fine but start to drive off put a bit of a load on it and drops a cylinder! But no check engine light!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Premium Member
5,321 Posts
Sometimes when cops go bad symptoms are only under load so they don't throw codes

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Called ford oem is 75 each that's 600 for all 8 Iam going with the msd at 189

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check engine light came on one time it flashed a few times (meaning raw fuel in the cylinder) then it went off hasn't came back on

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
MSD cops are great. But they sell the cop rebuild kits that are $30 for all 8. And 99% of the time it's the spring and rubber boot that needs replacement.

Sent from the mothership.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Slater you have no idea how tired I am of this car right now! Have been chasing a problem down for weeks now and no check engine light has made it nothing short of a pain in my ass! Fuel pump was running @110% duty cycle car missing at 1400/1600rpms new plugs old ones had 34 gap new ones in at 52 problem was better put the focus pump in problem got a little better now today down a cylinder all together! And all this time no engine light! Wish the damn thing would come on at least so I'd know what end of the car needed kicking! Lol

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Does it light up when the engine is off and the key is on run? If not the cel bulb can be burned out.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It comes on then it came on once today flashing for about 1/2 mile then went off the car is missing its ass off it should be on

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How hard is it?? Msd shipped to the door sounds a lot easier lol

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Well you'll have to take out the cops anyways to put in the MSD. You'll have like 3 more steps if you rebuild them. Take off old boot. (They're just pressed on and they're rubber. Not very difficult.) usually the spring comes with it. Then put on new boot and spring. Put them back in. Done. For $30 at oreillys.

·
Registered
8,452 Posts
You guys with the misfires should check for codes regardless of whether the CEL is staying lit or not. If the CEL lit up at any time, there is a very good chance that there is a stored code.

I don't recommend using any brand of COPS other than Motorcraft.
Rockauto has Motorcraft COP's for less than $50 apiece. You should be able to buy all 8 for less than $400.
There is a Rockauto discount code in the General Mustang forum.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would love to swap the coils don't know which one is miss firing there's no stored code

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Can you ohm a cop and if so would that show it bad?? Shouldn't they ohm at around 10ohms

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Just disconnect one cop at a time. If you get significant change then they are good. If nothing changes at all it's probably misfiring.

·
Registered
8,452 Posts
You need a specific COP tester to accurately test them. They can all test good with a multimeter but still misfire under load.
If there is only one that is bad, you can buy one COP and start swapping out your old coils with the new COP, one at a time, until you find the bad COP. However, if there are multiple failing COPS, this method of "diagnosis" can be frustrating and still not find all of the bad COPS.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Check engine light finally came on po304 po316 and po351 pull plugs 1 and 4 checked the plugs and connections to the cop's put it all back together it now idles fine put it in gear hold the brake put it under a load and it falls down a cylinder! Has to be a cop would you not agree

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Sounds like one for sure. I would do what stray said and buy one and switch it around. Or buy the rebuild kit and do all of them and go from there. That way your not out a ton of money if It's not a COP.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

1 - 20 of 23 Posts