Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I was wondering if anyone could tell me if they’ve had any problems with their MMD fuel door messing up like mine. American Muscle has been no help and then MMD told me it was because I went through a car wash but I hand wash my car. It just feels like the quality of materials was so bad. Any help would be so appreciated.
Motor vehicle Gas Font Fixture Symbol Gas Auto part Cylinder Circle Metal

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Lots of bad reviews on American Muscle web site :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I brought the item the reviews were great for it. It’s just later on that the product starts to deteriorate. I’m just going to go back to my old fuel door. American Muscle just gave me a current promotion discount but it’s only if I spend over $299. Not worth it. I’ll be looking at the SHR fuel door but I’m a bit hesitate on that too based on this bad experience.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Cheap chrome plating. The step before it is dipped into the chrome plating, the part turns to a brass or gold looking color. Then it is dipped into the chrome plating. Your chrome has come off. It was put on too thin :(

Reactions: crjackson

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks David Young for the information. It would be nice if MMD would just admit that their quality isn’t as great as advertised.

Barroom Zero how is the quality of the SHR so far? Any problems yet?

·
Registered
58 Posts
No issues as of yet. I've had it over a year now. I hand wash 90% of the time, though I have been known to occasionally do a machine wash when I get super lazy. It's the black door, so maybe that's why I've had no issues vs chrome but overall, I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you so much for the help Barroom Zero. I’m really thinking of going with the chrome still and just hope that this company actually did the product right because I have other pieces of chrome even longer than the MMD fuel door that look just as new as the first day I got them.

·
Administrator
657 Posts
the new fuel door looks good. Did AM offer you a store credit at least?

BTW, good to see you’re wearing your mask ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn’t get any credit from AM but I did manage to snag the fuel door on eBay for $122.81 in total so that was such a deal!

lol I didn’t think anyone would notice the mask. It’s actually convenient when I work on cars. Plus the allergens outside too get to me at times.

·
Administrator
657 Posts
I didn’t get any credit from AM but I did manage to snag the fuel door on eBay for $122.81 in total so that was such a deal!

lol I didn’t think anyone would notice the mask. It’s actually convenient when I work on cars. Plus the allergens outside too get to me at times.
If you’re happy, I’m happy ;)

I hate that AM isn’t offering some type of recompense, but it seems to be the way of things these days.
Anyway, thanks for posting and showing how it all turned out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It’s ok. I understand that business is tough for everyone nowadays. Here’s what the back of the MMD fuel door looked like if anyone was interested. And they told me it was because I ran it through an automatic car wash which I don’t even use.

Computer keyboard Font Serveware Gas Circle

·
Administrator
657 Posts
Thanks, it was obviously an inferior product. At least now you can warn others off from that part. It only takes on ugly piece to ruin the looks of an otherwise beautiful car.

Reactions: David Young
1 - 14 of 14 Posts