Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever install any of the MMD hood scoops without using the double sided tape to offer a better seam on the hood? I read an article where someone didn't use the tape and it made a much cleaner tighter seam?

Anyone else not use the tape? I'm not worried about the hood because eventually I might replace it with an aftermarket hood since I have the dreaded Ford Aluminum oxidation on my lip of the hood.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
274 Posts
I've heard that it causes a lot of scratching. The double sided tape protects the vehicles paint as well as attaches it. It will more than likely scratch and ruin the paint on your hood.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
322 Posts
I've heard that it causes a lot of scratching. The double sided tape protects the vehicles paint as well as attaches it. It will more than likely scratch and ruin the paint on your hood.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Why would you care about scratches? You have to drill holes to mount it so you are talking body and paint if you want to remove it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I realized that when I received it. Sorry all.
Turned out good though!

I'm pleased very little seams at all. Hoping the tape holds but I've read little complaints.

Thanks

ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1497312796.635861.jpg

ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1497312785.846460.jpg

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all I was so nervous drilling the hood but I got past it after the drill touched it for the first hole! LOL

👍

·
Registered
41 Posts
Did you place it on the hood where the instructions indicate, or did you move it further down the hood like some have suggested? I'm curious, because yours looks so good, it may have convinced me to do this!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you place it on the hood where the instructions indicate, or did you move it further down the hood like some have suggested? I'm curious, because yours looks so good, it may have convinced me to do this!

I actually assembled the scoop, attached the bolts to the bottom and carefully centered it where I wanted it. Careful not to scratch the hood with the bolts!

I then used acrylic paint and a fine tip paint brush and painted a half circle around the bolt area touching the hood. From there I removed the bolts. Lined the bolt head with the half moon and finished the circle. Then drilled it out. The acrylic paint washes off so nothing left behind.

Lined up perfectly! There some small side seam but to be expected since it's not full bolted down on the sides just the front area. I wanted to fab side bolt areas but scraped the idea.

Hope that helps and thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts