Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I ordered the MMD strut kit from AM and did one day delivery so that I could install before my car show.. The good.. As always american muscle had awesome delivery arrived right on time.. The package looked high quality and installation was super easy.. Ok so the bad.. One of the lower brackets dosnt tighten all the way up.. They are impossible to stay straight.. I am assuming it's from the weight and pressure from the hood.. But I was really disappointed.. The brackets would become so unaligned that it looks as if though this hood strut kit is not gonna last if they do not stay straight and aligned.. I am almost contemplating welding the brackets so that they stay straight and the weight is distributed proportionally.. Anyone have these issues and what fixes do you do..

They really complement the engine bay.. Looks clean.. I just don't like how they don't stay aligned.. :(

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like tightened them hulk style and they will still twist when I pull down the hood :( I think ima just weld tomorrow.. Maybe a spot weld or something.. And is it me or is it harder to close the hood? I check to make sure the line dosnt get pinched and it dosnt so I am clueless lol

·
Registered
149 Posts
Didn't have those issues but the retaining clips on my kit bent during installation and are now virtually unable to be used to safely prop up the hood. Pretty disappointed with MMD on the quality.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have the Redline Struts and they are great. They have no bracket to come loose and you don't need to mess with the hinge bolts to install.
I bought the Stainless cylinder ones and they look great too.

·
Registered
242 Posts
They were super easy to install when I put mine on but I did have the same issue. When I was tightening the bottom screw of the driver's side the bolt just wouldn't tighten down. After I manhandled the thing it finally cranked down flush but it took a lot of work. They do work fine, though so I'm not exactly sure what was going on to cause the problem.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
I guess I was "LUCKY"

Mine have been on for about 6 months with no problems at all. The hood goes up easy and stays up. It goes down but you do need a little push to close it because you don't have the weight of the hood helping you.
Ronnie

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
So I ordered the MMD strut kit from AM and did one day delivery so that I could install before my car show.. The good.. As always american muscle had awesome delivery arrived right on time.. The package looked high quality and installation was super easy.. Ok so the bad.. One of the lower brackets dosnt tighten all the way up.. They are impossible to stay straight.. I am assuming it's from the weight and pressure from the hood.. But I was really disappointed.. The brackets would become so unaligned that it looks as if though this hood strut kit is not gonna last if they do not stay straight and aligned.. I am almost contemplating welding the brackets so that they stay straight and the weight is distributed proportionally.. Anyone have these issues and what fixes do you do.. They really complement the engine bay.. Looks clean.. I just don't like how they don't stay aligned.. :(
Hey-Sorry to hear about the trouble with the struts! I'm not entirely sure what's causing this but I'd like to get a replacement sent out for you immediately! Can you please shoot me a PM with your order info and I'll have everything set up.

Thanks in advance!

Didn't have those issues but the retaining clips on my kit bent during installation and are now virtually unable to be used to safely prop up the hood. Pretty disappointed with MMD on the quality.
If you'd like to shoot your order info over to me or give us a call we're more than happy to get your set replaced as well as I can't have you rolling around like this!

Alex

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hey-Sorry to hear about the trouble with the struts! I'm not entirely sure what's causing this but I'd like to get a replacement sent out for you immediately! Can you please shoot me a PM with your order info and I'll have everything set up.

Thanks in advance!

If you'd like to shoot your order info over to me or give us a call we're more than happy to get your set replaced as well as I can't have you rolling around like this!

Alex

This kind of service is hard to beat. :cool:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Thanks in advance!

Alex

I really appreciate the amazing service but I am convinced that in my situation it's just either the design or the screws that just don't grip past a certain point.. I think regardless of putting another strut brace the results would be similar :(

·
Registered
149 Posts

Alex[/QUOTE]

Great customer service. Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have the Redline Struts and they are great. They have no bracket to come loose and you don't need to mess with the hinge bolts to install.
I bought the Stainless cylinder ones and they look great too.
But you did have to DRILL HOLES in your car.... Also, the struts are not as tucked in as other kits... the angle of the hood struts actually can get in the way if you are trying to work in your engine bay from the side... i know, i had a set once upon a time... when we did a motor swap, the shop yanked them out because they were always in the way.... They were nice enough to install a different kind that used the factory hinge bolts and the struts were well out of the way....

·
Registered
413 Posts
But you did have to DRILL HOLES in your car.... Also, the struts are not as tucked in as other kits... the angle of the hood struts actually can get in the way if you are trying to work in your engine bay from the side... i know, i had a set once upon a time... when we did a motor swap, the shop yanked them out because they were always in the way.... They were nice enough to install a different kind that used the factory hinge bolts and the struts were well out of the way....
There was no drilling for my 2012 and the Redlines are far cleaner looking to me. I have never found them to be in the way either. They have much better leverage on the hood and they put less strain on it.
I would pull the hood if I was doing an engine swap so that is a non-issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
This is disappointing, i really wanted to throw these on my car as well. hmmm might look into a different brand i guess.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've had no issues with my MRT hood struts... fun part was letting my daughter basically do the install.. I recorded it for fun... here is the last stop.... ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb3cd-iUujo

---------- Post added at 04:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:21 PM ----------

There was no drilling for my 2012 and the Redlines are far cleaner looking to me. I have never found them to be in the way either. They have much better leverage on the hood and they put less strain on it.
I would pull the hood if I was doing an engine swap so that is a non-issue.
I see they've redesigned them... much better than the original with the pop rivets...

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got a spot weld in the corner that shifts out on the bracket and looks a lot better and the brackets don't shift.. Now works flawlessly

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1405394413.669197.jpg ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1405394441.090895.jpg

As you can see one bracket twists. I had it spot welded will post updated pic but I tightened that screw like no tomorrow after it finally got grip and still managed to twist.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Strange, mine didn't have any issues. Granted in my install I didn't remove both brackets at once. I removed one at a time and cranked the bolt down almost all of the way, then did the other then came back and tightened up both brackets before snapping on the prop rods.

I kept the stock prop rod on during the process just to bear some of the weight to prevent pre-mature twisting.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
This kind of service is hard to beat. :cool:
Ted-We strive to have the best customer service no matter what. I'm always here to help out when and where I can and I hate to hear fellow Mustang owners having problems!

I really appreciate the amazing service but I am convinced that in my situation it's just either the design or the screws that just don't grip past a certain point.. I think regardless of putting another strut brace the results would be similar :sad:
Jay-I understand. If need be we can get you set up for a full refund. Whatever works for you, works for me! I'm a PM or we're a phone call away to have anything rectified.

Alex

Alex
Great customer service. Thank you!
Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution[/QUOTE]

Again- I can't stress enough how I'm here to help out our customers no matter what-If there's ever an issue or something doesn't look right with an order, I want to hear about it!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts