Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to put a 4.6l 2v into my classic. From my understanding you must notch the shock towers and convert to a coilovers system for clearance issues. Has anyone done such a thing? If so please point me in the general direction. I tried searching... Not what I was looking for... ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1432929017.547054.jpg

·
Registered
679 Posts
That is a nice lineup of ponies! I've only read articles in Mustang Monthly and other magazines - most of their articles can be found online.

Definitely keep us updated as you get into it!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Rod and custom sells a complete coil over setup for a reasonable price. That is what I'm going with. There is another one that is considerably nicer, and more expensive.

Or if you want to go another route, I believe the crown Vic front suspension is supposed to fit quite nicely with little modification.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
Notching the towers is a band aid approach to the width issue. You need to get rid of the towers and front suspension all together............unless you are building a drag car.
As was mentioned Rod&Custom makes an excellent kit with everything you need. You can also strip a 94/05 Mustang front sub frame and install it in place of your stock front end.

Good article to read;
The Mustang Shop - How to swap a 4.6l modular engine into an early Mustang

Or give these people a call as he makes motor mounts for the 4.6l to go in a 67/68............don't know much about this product although he must have the information you are looking for.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
Although this picture is of my 70 Maverick drag car it's pretty close to you 67/68 Mustang. Even with a 2-1/2" slice of the tower on each side there wouldn't have been enough room to put the 4.6l in.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts