Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the average time for my 04 GT auto is about a 13.99 @ 95. Mods are stock springs, Catless Bassani x, dynomax ultra flows, and a K&N intake, with no tune, not so great 315 Nitto NT555s, and 87 gas. The best I've achieved was a 14.18 @ 98.7 mph. Since then I've put on H&R SS springs, new iridium spark plugs. Accel supercoils, new 275 NT555 tires, and a 93 octane Bama race tune that really firmed the shifts up. So as result I'd figure I would be running high 13s. But instead I've run a best of 14.6 @ 94 mph. Why would I be going slower? The car runs perfectly fine. So what is up?

---------- Post added at 11:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 PM ----------

I apologize. The best time was 14.39, not 13.99. My bad.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I do mid 14s on 97 with 3700 lbs at about 95 mph too. Manual tranny, NA engine. Tuned to 93 gas. Maybe it's your reaction time. Also hard launches take a lot out of street cars.

---------- Post added at 11:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 PM ----------

LAS97GT said:
I do mid 14s on 97 with 3700 lbs at about 95 mph too. Manual tranny, NA engine. Tuned to 93 gas. Maybe it's your reaction time. Also hard launches take a lot out of street cars.
97 GT VERT.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Soccerluvr4 said:
How are you launching? Launching wrong can damage the car and cause it to run slower.
Well I staged it by turning off the traction control, pressing my left foot down on the brake pedal, and then build up the revs to about 1500rpm. When I'm ready to go, I just floor the gas and left my foot off the brakes at the same time. I also start off by putting the lever in "1" instead of "D" and then when I first get moving I push it back in "D" and let it shift itself. I also turn off the overdrive as well. This is how I've always ran my car. My reaction time and 60 foot times are the same as before.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been told that my car smells like it has race gas, especially after the coils have been installed. I'm starting to believe that the coils are causing the car to run rich, holding me back, despite the "performance gain" claim.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
TheJigShow said:
I've been told that my car smells like it has race gas, especially after the coils have been installed. I'm starting to believe that the coils are causing the car to run rich, holding me back, despite the "performance gain" claim.
You went from a 315 to a 275 tire!.. I would say less traction!.. Plus those Accel Super coils?!?!.... They are a joke!.. I've used them in the past and never will again!!! MSD or stock is what you need!..

---------- Post added at 05:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 AM ----------

TheJigShow said:
Well I staged it by turning off the traction control, pressing my left foot down on the brake pedal, and then build up the revs to about 1500rpm. When I'm ready to go, I just floor the gas and left my foot off the brakes at the same time. I also start off by putting the lever in "1" instead of "D" and then when I first get moving I push it back in "D" and let it shift itself. I also turn off the overdrive as well. This is how I've always ran my car. My reaction time and 60 foot times are the same as before.
Going back and forth like this between 1st and Drive is a waist!.. Your not really hurting but your not really helping either!.. I would just keep it in Drive and leave it there!..

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Eturner said:
You went from a 315 to a 275 tire!.. I would say less traction!.. Plus those Accel Super coils?!?!.... They are a joke!.. I've used them in the past and never will again!!! MSD or stock is what you need!..

---------- Post added at 05:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 AM ----------

Going back and forth like this between 1st and Drive is a waist!.. Your not really hurting but your not really helping either!.. I would just keep it in Drive and leave it there!..
I'm switching back to the stock coils today. The only other mod I plan on is a 125 shot so I won't really need performance coils. I figured the cycles would help but they really aren't doing a thing. Also I'll try switching back to the 315s when I run again. They hooked better but were too wide for daily driving.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
TheJigShow said:
I'm switching back to the stock coils today. The only other mod I plan on is a 125 shot so I won't really need performance coils. I figured the cycles would help but they really aren't doing a thing. Also I'll try switching back to the 315s when I run again. They hooked better but were too wide for daily driving.
If you lost traction vs your original runs then you answered or could have answered your own question, with the difference only being a couple tenths any loss of traction could easily explain it.........

1 - 9 of 9 Posts