Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, this is my first question here. I have been reading these forums for about 20 minutes, and the people here seem knowledgeable and active. I am wondering if anyone has experience modifying predator canned tunes? I have added full exhaust (intake, long tubes, high flow cats, divorced duals) to my 3.8 and I can't afford a custom tune right now. I am told that I can play with the fuel trim (I use the 93 tune consistently) since I am flowing alot more air over stock. I honestly don't know how to read the live data log, so I am wondering if anyone can tell me what values I need to pay attention to, and how to adjust fuel accordingly.

Also, I am wondering if anyone can tell me would a dyno tune make that much of a difference to justify spending the extra money? I have heard mixed comments on this. I don't know if it is relevant, but I also have gears and tlok and fatter tires on 17" rims (16 are stock), in addition to the aforementioned exhaust upgrades.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
well you aren't pulling in much more air then stock with just a CAI...now if it was a windstar it would be a different story.

as for the dyno tune...well worth the cash when you do mods needing it. you still got a bit to go before that's needed.

what gears are you running? and what do you call fatter tires? 255, 275? any more info can help

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well you aren't pulling in much more air then stock with just a CAI...now if it was a windstar it would be a different story.

as for the dyno tune...well worth the cash when you do mods needing it. you still got a bit to go before that's needed.

what gears are you running? and what do you call fatter tires? 255, 275? any more info can help

Thanks for the reply. I was under the impression that the intake alone took in considerably more air, and the headers/exhaust allowed the car to do so even more due to increased flow. I am by no means a mechanic, and certainly could have been led to a false understanding.

I am using 3.73 gears with TLOK, and the tires are 275 in the rear, 255 in the front and 17" rims all around. I want to build the engine all natural if I can, with forged internals and possible nitrous in the end. I know I will need a nitrous tune at that point, but since it is a ways off in the future, I just wondered if I could get more out of my canned predator tune. They made it seem (when I bought it) like if I had exhaust mods at the time, they would have modified the can tunes to fit my exhaust. So it makes me feel like I should be able to get more out of the tune by modifying it, since it was made for a bone stock car. Lol...Oh the insatiable desire to go faster!

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Average dyno gains for all those mods usually net 10-20 rwhp before the tune. If you want to talk an N/A build pm David. He will talk you against it for the most part but he has built his sixxer N/A. Its alot of money for a little gain when comparing to FI. Although he does run with stock 99-04 GTs now

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Average dyno gains for all those mods usually net 10-20 rwhp before the tune. If you want to talk an N/A build pm David. He will talk you against it for the most part but he has built his sixxer N/A. Its alot of money for a little gain when comparing to FI. Although he does run with stock 99-04 GTs now
Really? I thought building the engine was cheaper than getting a boost setup?

Really I just wanted to be unique also, but if it's cheaper to go with boost, I may just go that route, because fast > unique I say...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts