Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I am going to be purchasing a 5 liter Mustang within the next week or so. Its a 93 LX hatchback, 96K miles, and 5 speed transmission. Car has just 3.73 gears as of now. What mods do you think it would take (except for nitrous) to get the car into the 11's. I know there are a lot of variables involved here, but just a basic recipe that would get me close to 11s is what I am looking for. What do you guys think it will take?

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
331 Stroker, AFR 185's Peformer RPM, all the bolts on's, you be pretty close.

·
Banned
1,170 Posts
a good set of heads, something like some AFR 185's, a good cam, i cant think of a decent one off the top of my head, a trick flow track heat intake or an edelbrock, a good set of headers, full exhaust, some slicks, and the bolt ons like pulleys, intake, throttle body, MAF and all that good stuff should get you close

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
Tbird232ci said:
a good cam, i cant think of a decent one off the top of my head
just call up comp cams, tell them your set up, and they will tell you the best cam, and if they dont make the cam you need: they will custom grind you one.

·
Registered
122 Posts
AFR 185s
Systemax Intakes
Ed Curtis Cam
Vortech S trim
42lb injectors
Full Exhaust

Victor Jr Heads
Victor Jr Intake
Holley 750 Carb
Steep Gears 4.30+

GT40P Heads and Headers
gt40 upper and lower intakes
B Cam
100 shot

·
Registered
2 Posts
1quick6 said:
Looks like I am going to be purchasing a 5 liter Mustang within the next week or so. Its a 93 LX hatchback, 96K miles, and 5 speed transmission. Car has just 3.73 gears as of now. What mods do you think it would take (except for nitrous) to get the car into the 11's. I know there are a lot of variables involved here, but just a basic recipe that would get me close to 11s is what I am looking for. What do you guys think it will take?
526-531 lift cam with a 290 duration... all roller, all forged internals... 373 gears steeda underdrive pullies, mac full length comp headers ram air intake 70mm throttle body 77mm maf all ported and polished intake manifold and heads it runs
I think get that :p: :p:

·
Registered
583 Posts
turbo turbo turbo turbo turbo turbo

if your serious about getting into the 11's or 10's, thats simply the easiest most cost effient way to do it, just get ready to start breaking parts baby!

650 foot pounds tends to do that

expect to spend alot more money doing it with either a supercharger or N/A

just an example, they're is a guy in huntsville I know that was running a T-56 on an other wise stock 5.0 (stock heads, intake, cam, lower end) 17 pounds of boost = 7.6's on 265/35 street tires :) that equates to about an 11.6 quarter, this was an LX car 5 speed

·
Registered
4 Posts
The driver is a huge factor also, especially in a 5spd car. Dont be afraid of nitrous. A 100 shot can easily put u in the 12's, but u said no nitrous.So out of all the engines i have done i love the 347 with forged assemblies and a main girdle. Then if u want put nitrous to it lol. I also like the trickflow top end kit. Get that and focus on traction getta set of slicks and u will have a fast car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I do agree turbo is the most efficent power adder, due to the fact that there is no parasitic power loss. But like u said u r gonna break parts. And the cost effectiveness of a turbo is another issue. But i agree a turbo is an excellent power adder.No matter what though u have to pay to play goin fast costs money.

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
you won't be able to get a NA 302 into 11s with stock weight.. you'd have to upgrade the engine a bit.. and possibly displacement.. (347, woo!)

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
MonteCitan said:
you won't be able to get a NA 302 into 11s with stock weight.. you'd have to upgrade the engine a bit.. and possibly displacement.. (347, woo!)

I dunno about that I know a few guys around my area in all stock trim knocking at 11's door, they do have about every bolt on possible and trans done up. but still they have full weight

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
maybe with a built bottom end/ aftermarket internals? I have a few friends with budget 347 stokers (or 331s) that are only mid 11 territory, aluminum heads and all..

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
nope block hasnt been touched at all.

BTW buddy of mine witha 347 is a 9 second still streetable car :yup:

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
bluemustang said:
nope block hasnt been touched at all.

BTW buddy of mine witha 347 is a 9 second still streetable car :yup:

my buddies are all budget minded lol they have less than $6k invested in each car...

one's carbeurated..

What exactly do they have done to it to get it running that fast? aside from rediculously high stall tq converters, tall gears.. with linebrakes launching at 6k RPMs on slicks? ....

One of my buddies.. 306 DSS block with forged internals.. AFR heads, GT40 intake, headers, MSD 6AL, some tremec manual trans, built rear, 5 lug swap, drag radials.. all the goodies/other bolt ons.. runs 12.60s perfectly tuned... 6 tenths in that territory takes a whole lotta HP.. what else can be done to get it faster than that NA without weight reduction??

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
ive seen around 300 flywheel hp can get them into the 12's (maybe high 12's but still) so just pick and chose your parts, bolts ons like pullies, exhaust, chip. then get into the motor a lil more heads/intake/cam and ur done.

4k can get you pretty damn close.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts