Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to build a sick street car... I probably won't be running it on a strip... I have a 5 speed 89 gt with basic bolt ons ( CAI, under drive pulleys, Hedman short tubes and 3.73s) I was told it is a 331 but I'm highly in disbelief. Should I go 306? Or have it stroked? Also I am wanting to s/c. I think I'm going to go with the trick flow heads and intakes maybe a e303 cam? Idk I'm open to all combos all help is appreciated thanks guys and gals

·
Banned
8,044 Posts
If your swapping the motor and s/cing it I say go for a 351.your starting off with more cubes and 4 bolt mains.(not sure they all do).therevare also some good 302-331 short block you can get that come with forged internals.e303 should work ok.the trick flow stuff is also pretty good.

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 PM ----------

I want to get the afr heads if I ever decide to swap mine out.

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
If your swapping the motor and s/cing it I say go for a 351.your starting off with more cubes and 4 bolt mains.(not sure they all do).therevare also some good 302-331 short block you can get that come with forged internals.e303 should work ok.the trick flow stuff is also pretty good.

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 PM ----------

I want to get the afr heads if I ever decide to swap mine out.
+100 :good:

Most 351W factory engines are not 4-bolt mains, but they do have a much stronger block than the 302. Properly built with main stud girdle, windage tray and valley girdles a stock block 351W is probably good for 600-800 HP which should satisfy your power needs.

The AFR heads are another good choice IMO. For the 351W I would go with the 205 or 215 AFR's.

·
Banned
8,044 Posts
Trojan Horse said:
+100 :good:

Most 351W factory engines are not 4-bolt mains, but they do have a much stronger block than the 302. Properly built with main stud girdle, windage tray and valley girdles a stock block 351W is probably good for 600-800 HP which should satisfy your power needs.

The AFR heads are another good choice IMO. For the 351W I would go with the 205 or 215 AFR's.
I wasn't sure on the 4 bolt main but I do know ky Buddys 94 Broncos has a 4bolt main.

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
I wasn't sure on the 4 bolt main but I do know ky Buddys 94 Broncos has a 4bolt main.
I've been trying to think of any factory 351W's that had 4-bolt mains and I just can't recall any. Not to say there were not, I just don't remember any.
Frequent problem for me nowadays. :eek::

Maybe he has a 351C?
I believe the Boss 351C and 4V 351C engines were 4-bolt.

·
Banned
8,044 Posts
He definitely has a Windsor.he did a full rebuild including the crank.it was many years ago though so maybe he didn't remember properly when he told me.:)

---------- Post added at 11:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 AM ----------

I just asked him and he said he could be wrong.so its not your meds or your age.you still got it! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts