Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a blown 1988, 302. It has a msd ignition ****** on it that the guy who owned it before me installed. I raced a hemi truck yesterday and looked back and noticed black smoke coming out everywhere. I know thats just too much fuel, but i was wondering how do you adjust the timing. How do you know which way to go on it and how far do you adjust it. thanks for the help.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i know that my fuel pressure gauge says im running about 6 1/2 psi. Isnt black smoke too much fuel. What else can it be

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah its carburated, i just know the needle is about halfway between the 6 and the 7 on the gauge.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anyone know about this?

·
Registered
583 Posts
black smoke is rich, bluish purple smoke is oil, white smoke is antifreeze

you have carborator problems, this has nothing to do with fuel pressure.
have someone rebuild your carborator, that is unless you think you can do it yourself.
but before you do that have someone adjust the floats and... all that stuff, I really don't know much about them myselves, just know when they're doing something wrong :)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Also depends on how the carb is used, it the carb blow thru or suck thru?

Blow thru's can collapse the floats making them run too high a fuel level and run rich. But I'd assume with only 6.5 psi fuel pressure it is a suck thru setup.

Steve

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys sorry I havent been on here in a while. Yeah the blower is a suck thru setup. The carb sits on top of the blower. The carb is a demon 650 carb. I know its the timing, not the carb. Because the guy I got the car from took it to the track it was blowing black smoke everywhere. He said he adjusted the boost ****** on the dash down a little and it mostly went away.

·
Registered
16 Posts
A timing problem isnt gonna cause that much smoke. I'm gonna say you have carb issues.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts