Mustang Evolution Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
and if a newbie from the New England area shows up with it they can get a hold of me. I did like the car.....

I hope it is not a real Good-bye but know I will be spending more of my time trying to get the VW folks thinking and playing nice.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
There are a few things I will never ever give up,
My Guns.
My Dogs
My Mustang.
I enjoy them all and everything else can be bought for a price,
(NOT THESE)
Ronnie

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
There are a few things I will never ever give up,
My Guns.
My Dogs
My Mustang.
I enjoy them all and everything else can be bought for a price,
(NOT THESE)
Ronnie
I love that your guns are listed first. I'm right there with you on that.

·
ME Bloodhound
14,697 Posts
why does everyone who gets rid of their stang act like they have to leave the forum? lol I was on here for a year without a stang. soccerluvr was on here for like 4 years before he actually got one. was just curious

Lol, more like 1 year before I got one.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Don't anybody worry about Mud, He will be back after the novelty wears off on that thing he bought.
He more then likely will be back in a Mustang in about a year or two.
It's kind of like having a Corvette, The car is great but most of the people you have to associate with to enjoy the car are pretty much """SLUGS""" and not enjoyable to be around.
There are no better people then the Mustang or Camaro people to enjoy a car with.
Oh, Maybe my Street rod friends are a lot of fun to be around.
I once had a Corvette but I hating the Corvette club snobs, I ended up joining the Porsche Audi club to track and enjoy my car.
The Mustang owners are the best, Don't believe me, Go to any event and watch the Mustangs and Mustang people enjoying their Mustangs.
Sturgis , Myrtle Beach, The Hot Rod tour, Maple Grove Pa. Silver Springs Fl., Carlisle Pa. are just a few of the big events that are mostly Mustangs and plenty of them.
It is America and anyone can buy the car of their choice but ME, I'll just keep my Mustang.
Ronnie

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Vaya con Dios Mud. I'll miss your comments.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Super Moderator
5,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Someone else now owns my car....that is good. I hope they also enjoy it. It was in great shape and I hope to see them here or in the real world.

·
Premium Member
1,382 Posts
Someone else now owns my car....that is good. I hope they also enjoy it. It was in great shape and I hope to see them here or in the real world.
Did you leave a note in the glovebox reminding the new owner that red is, indeed, the fastest color?

·
Super Moderator
5,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
2 month 2800 mile update:

Cliff Notes = Function > Form

The above is true as what stands out most for me is I gave up style and looks for practicality and fun. Reminder: base model performance package equipped 2012 V6 with MT/3.31/suspension upgrades to a 2017 VW GTI Turbo 4 cyl Sport MT (Sport is equiv to performance package) stock for now

The good:

I find the GTI to be more fun to drive. I take the long way home and have even more fun on the two lane blacktop than I did with my Mustang. It goes faster on public roads than is wise to go but unlike the Stang there is more "feel" to it. I know the short wheelbase amplifies the sensation of speed but faster than wise is the truth. The TDI engine has an amazing amount of torque down low and likes to be driven different than the 3.7 which came alive at 4k. I have been getting 31-33 mpg on winter blend and not having to get gas until the odo says 340 miles and only needing 11 gallons is nice. I was getting 21-23 in the Stang. There is room for 4 people and with the rear seats folded down I easily fit 4 tires/wheels in the back. I have preached about how I don't really like luxury features but now admit they can be nice. I still would prefer to have performance over lux but I am spoiled already with the key-less entry/ignition. I already just walk up to my truck and try to open the door without unlocking it, then have to fish around for my keys.

The bad:

I know this makes me even more of an fool than I am but I really miss the jealous eyeballs I would get when driving the Mustang. Mine was lowered/bright red/with nice rims and I would get lots of appreciative looks from all sorts of people. Even old ladies would occasionally comment "nice car" I now get an occasional nod from WRX guys but that is about it. The Stang was also more comfortable on the hwy even as it made 80 mph seem slow. I find the VW shifter floppy, clutch somewhat difficult to feel, and the brakes being touchy at low speeds are the things that need improvement. Reading on the forums the 1st two are common complaints and they have solutions but I am waiting till spring (I hope) to start making improvements as I don't want to anger Mrs Mud although the clutch one just involves removing a clutch delay orifice in the hyd system.

fit and finish are top notch as are the little details them Germans thought about. It was priced just about what I would have paid for a base model Ecoboost. I never drove one, I knew if I was going to stay in a Mustang it would be a V8 or nothing. If there had been a 2017 base model V8 around I would have considered it but it would have been a hard sell as it would have been around $5k more than I paid for this. They only had premiums left of 2017's and without the big rebates I wasn't going to pay for a 2018 even though my salesperson offered me an order one at invoice. It would have been $30K= compared to the $24K I paid (I also did get good trade in value on my Stang)

I do intend to drive it year round (scored snows/rims from Craig's) and have my truck (12 yo Taco with 130K) enter semi-retirement. So far I am happy with my choice and the fun to drive factor was the main reason I changed cars. My Stang was reliable with only rattles and 2 wtty repairs for problems.

extra credit! the German word for Butt Dyno is Popo Meter!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks for sharing! I always appreciate other enthusiasts sharing their experiences with different cars. I have respected the GTI's ever since the early 2000's, when I lost badly to one while I was driving my modded 94 T-Bird SC 5-speed. I have considered getting a hot hatch to replace the Mustang as our play car in a few years (GTI/Focus RS/etc), but my wife really wants us to get a Wrangler instead. I'm finding it hard to get excited for her idea!

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Thanks for sharing! I always appreciate other enthusiasts sharing their experiences with different cars. I have respected the GTI's ever since the early 2000's, when I lost badly to one while I was driving my modded 94 T-Bird SC 5-speed. I have considered getting a hot hatch to replace the Mustang as our play car in a few years (GTI/Focus RS/etc), but my wife really wants us to get a Wrangler instead. I'm finding it hard to get excited for her idea!
I'm all for the Wrangler. It's hard to beat a Jeep if you get to play off road.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm all for the Wrangler. It's hard to beat a Jeep if you get to play off road.
Agreed, it could be a fun time to off road for sure, especially if we picked up an older model with some mods already done. Problem is, she wants a new one and I want one that gets decent mileage (since we already have a full size SUV for family duty). The upcoming JL with the diesel option is the first that we both get what we want in that regard.

Since I am particular about paint/scratches/mud I can see us paying top dollar for a new JL which will maybe be driven through a field every so often. For the price, I am trying to angle more toward a new hot hatch/C6 vette/Jeep SRT or (in my dreams) a used GTR. I am very lucky that my wife is a quasi-enthusiast as well which lets us have these conversations!

·
Super Moderator
5,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
Update:

2 yrs 20K+ miles and it's a great car for me. I am averaging 33 mpg, it goes as fast as I should be driving on the street. Realisticlly it's about as fast as my V6 Stang (after a suspension job on the Stang) but it feels faster so instead of doing 60-70 on the twisty back roads I enjoy I am doing 50-60. Early this summer I went to pick up a roof rack of a forum member and brought enuf $ to low ball the tires I also knew he had. I ended up fitting 6 18" tires and a spare (along with rack) in my car. Car's been rock solid and still a joy to use every day.

This update was courtesy of the chick on a pedal bike who talked to me at a light the other day going off about GTI's and how she had one and loved it. It was only the 3rd random props I've gotten on the car (one from a Mustang guy). I still miss the jealous looks from folks....folks just don't see nice car.

only a couple of minor mods.....red mirror caps, a ram air system 3D printed by a forum member, and numerous OBDeleven tweaks (because German you can go in and make settings to personalize stuff on the car to your liking). If it continues to be reliable it'll be the best car I've ever owned knocking out my 1990 Integra.

I hope everyone is doing well, things in CT are good. Durham Fair coming up next wkned and in the background I am hearing the crew working on what I am calling The Garage Mahal (40 x 40 with a loft) and Mrs Mud knows I'm going to want to put some type of car in it. We were at car show this summer and I was pointing out cars I liked and what I would call "drivers quality shape"
Mud

21 - 40 of 46 Posts