Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Mustang family. On a 2004 Mustang V6 3.8 which offset/offset muffler Flowmaster, Borla, Magnaflow with would give me the closet sound to a GT?

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Sorry my man! There is no V6 in the world, regardless of exhaust, that is going to be made to sound any where near as good as the 5.0. Heck, even the 5.0 sounds better than the GM V8’s due to their unique firing order.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for responding. A co worker suggested Flowmaster original 40's or Borla with 2.5 or 3.0 outlet tips. Will do more research and decide. Just as long as it doesn't have that ricey sound.
Thanks for responding. A co worker suggested Flowmaster Original 40's or Borla. As long as it doesn't have that ricey sound. Will do more research and decide.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A GT will sound like a GT. A V6 never will.
Question? I have seen on Ebay, Craigslist or Offerup sites 2010 or earlier GT Mufflers from 5.0 or 4.6 Mustangs. Some sellers claim these can be installed on a 3.8 V6 for a better sound. Is this accurate?

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Question? I have seen on Ebay, Craigslist or Offerup sites 2010 or earlier GT Mufflers from 5.0 or 4.6 Mustangs. Some sellers claim these can be installed on a 3.8 V6 for a better sound. Is this accurate?
Any exhaust shop can install any muffler on any vehicle. Just a matter of adapters and welding.

·
Premium Member
6,707 Posts
Now this probably doesn’t apply to the New Edge, but for the 4.0 it’s common to install stock GT/Bullitt mufflers to get a V6 to try to replicate a V8 sound. Basing this on a conclusion of a big 4.0 guy that’s a customer of mine, and his 4.0 does sound pretty nice for a V6. He has stock take off GT mufflers on his car. But a V6 will never sound like a V8, so the goal should be to get the car to sound good for a V6.
I would recommend a mild magnaflow muffler. They’re pretty good on controlling rasp. Although I’ve never cared for the sound magnaflow mufflers make, but they do have some benefits when it comes to exhaust note.

Pick your poison.

·
Registered
177 Posts
the VERRRY best you could do is put a good cam in the 3.8 with a true duel exhaust (x-pipe/h-pipe) and a good set of headers and you still won't get that true v8 sound but man it still sounds good.my v8 buds say it just sounds angry!lopes real nice at idle.

·
Super Moderator
17,862 Posts
You want it to sound good sell it and buy a GT. Sorry, everyone is thinking it, I just said it. the 3.8L is not an engine you want to be "modding". I mean all modding is a waste of money but on the 3.8L its basically like taking money from your sick grandma and lighting it on fire and laughing in her face the whole time.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
You want it to sound good sell it and buy a GT. Sorry, everyone is thinking it, I just said it. the 3.8L is not an engine you want to be "modding". I mean all modding is a waste of money but on the 3.8L its basically like taking money from your sick grandma and lighting it on fire and laughing in her face the whole time.
Well, tell us what you REALLY think!:hide:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not interested in selling it. Inherited it with it's perfections, flaws and made it my weekend toy. I Just wanted a better sounding exhaust note. Thank you for your input.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts