Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I've been having trouble with the radio on my Mustang 2012 for quite some time now.
The radio stopped working all of a sudden and the only thing I get is a blinking time clock and none of the buttons work.
I've tried the oven solution of popping the radio inside an oven for about 10 minutes and it seemed to have resolved the issue temporarily.
After about 4 weeks the radio gave out again and nothing seems to work.

I've bought a replacement radio off of eBay and the radio only worked for about 5 minutes before I got a blinking timeclock again. Now I can't tell if I just got another dud of a radio or if it's something else in my vehicle that's causing the problem(the seller seems like a trusted source and he insists it's a working radio).

Two questions:
1. Is it possible it may be something else in my vehicle that is causing the problem?
2. How can I verify that the radios are in good working condition without having to pop it in another Mustang vehicle entirely?

· Administrator
1,654 Posts
Welcome and thank you for joining MustangEvolution!
Please read the Site Rules if you haven’t already.
I encourage you to complete your Account Settings.
If you need help posting? Please read this FAQ.

We’re happy you’ve chosen to join our community.

Someone will be along shortly to offer advice.

· Registered
1,351 Posts
Wish I could help. Our experience with the Shaker in our 14 PP had a weird thing it used to do after it had 80k on the clock. It would make a loud pop then go off. If you stopped the car, turned the engine off, then restart, everything would be normal again for a while. I read and believed the radio head was ready to fail. Sold the car before we had a chance to find the issue.

· Administrator
1,654 Posts
Two questions:
1. Is it possible it may be something else in my vehicle that is causing the problem?
2. How can I verify that the radios are in good working condition without having to pop it in another Mustang vehicle entirely?
You neglected to complete your profile information so I don’t know your exact location. According to your IP Address, you’re somewhere near Tucson, AZ. I would have done a little more research, to find you a shop in your area, but I’m not sure what area you’re actually in.

You should be able to find an audio shop or a BestBuy with an audio shop in your area. I would suggest taking the car, and both head-units to an audio installer shop, and have them test your equipment.

You may have blown your replacement head-unit by hooking it up to a damaged circuit (that also destroyed your original), or you may have received a defective replacement unit, or perhaps both units okay (but unlikely), and a module or wiring is bad.

For me, I’d rather just take it to an audio shop, and get a diagnosis & repair estimate.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You neglected to complete your profile information so I don’t know your exact location. According to your IP Address, you’re somewhere near Tucson, AZ. I would have done a little more research, to find you a shop in your area, but I’m not sure what area you’re actually in.

You should be able to find an audio shop or a BestBuy with an audio shop in your area. I would suggest taking the car, and both head-units to an audio installer shop, and have them test your equipment.

You may have blown your replacement head-unit by hooking it up to a damaged circuit (that also destroyed your original), or you may have received a defective replacement unit, or perhaps both units okay (but unlikely), and a module or wiring is bad.

For me, I’d rather just take it to an audio shop, and get a diagnosis & repair estimate.
I will update my profile information soon, but I am indeed in the Tucson, AZ area.
It would be very unfortunate if I did indeed blow the replacement unit by hooking it up to a damaged circuit like you say.
I would hope it would be bad wiring as I've noticed that moving the wiring in the back will get the radio to start again, but it's gotten to a point where no amount of wire movement will start up the replacement unit again.

I appreciate your responses and I will keep you guys updated.

FYI here are images of the radios. Radio W is the original and Radio X is the replacement along with product info from my local Ford dealership.
Netbook Computer Office equipment Electronic instrument Audio equipment
Font Parallel Rectangle Paper Number
Computer keyboard Computer Font Circuit component Input device
Netbook Office equipment Computer hardware Gas Electronic instrument
Handwriting Font Parallel Paper Paper product

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Jackson, I'm also curious to know the difference between the stereos pictured above. The replacement (X) which is valued higher by the Ford dealership actually sounds worse than my original stereo (W). The difference in audio quality is very apparent(This is of course when I got the radio to work for a while before it gave out.)

· Administrator
1,654 Posts
I can’t help you there, I have no idea. Hopefully someone else can shed light on this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts