Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
umm correct me if i'm wrong but i've allways been told that we are SOHC which means we have 2 cam's total one on each side right? because DOHC have 4 total 2 on each side.

this is what i have been told if i'm wrong correct me i'm still learning

·
Banned
11,872 Posts
timpryor said:
umm correct me if i'm wrong but i've allways been told that we are SOHC which means we have 2 cam's total one on each side right? because DOHC have 4 total 2 on each side.

We have one cam. (1) Uno

:lol:

Cobra cam will not fit. Only a cam grinded for a v6 will. Check with RGR about a cam

·
Registered
676 Posts
see this is what i get for listening to my friends

so ours is in the center of the block right?

whereas DOHC vehicles are 2 on each side?

·
Registered
941 Posts
moving to v6 tech...

v6 is "pushrod" (old school). one cam in the center that pushes up the pushrods that tilt the rockers that move the valves.

gt is single overhead cam (SOHC) meaning one cam is situated above each head.

cobra is same but DOHC, just more cams.

look at the bright side, sohc and dohc'ers regularly spend 450-650 for just the cams themselves. a custom ground pushrod cam willl only run us about 200 for the cam itself. this is why the 2005 OHC will not be worth modifying at all because it'll be so bloody expensive (as if modding a v6 is wroth it, anyways. :p )

that being said, a cam on a 99+ isn't a bad way to go. expect to shell out about 400 though minus the install. good for 15rwhp+. contact RGR and he will send you a questionarre to fill out.

austin

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
:wtf2: you have one cam, good old tech pushrod cheaper and easier to work on :)

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
timpryor said:

Nope, we're OHV, Over Head Valves. And yes we only have one cam. If you do your own work, it's gonna cost you only about $170 to do the swap. Say about $120 for the cam and then about $50 for gaskets, and oil, filter and silicone. The real question is what do you really, and honest want to do with your car? Meaning, what is your goal?

·
Registered
941 Posts
97S, you forgot new pushrods (80) and springs (100)... and RR's while he's in there would be ideal (300). plus install will be hellacious as tim can't do it yet.

austin

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Oh ya, I keep thinking about my car. I changed my springs and pushrods ALONG time ago When I did my most recent cam swap, it only cost me $150 or so. But I would screw the pushrods and get adj. Roller rockers instead. Also, I wouldn't just do a cam swap in the first place. If those heads have to come off, then you're gonna need head gaskets and new studs or bolts for that too, so to make things cheaper in the long run, get some ported heads now so you only have to pull them off once. Think of it as you have to pay the garage for pulling the heads, and they're gonna charge you for replacing your springs, so you might as well put that money torwards the new heads instead. It might be a little more, but you're still saving money depending how you look at it.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
tire said:
97S, you forgot new pushrods (80) and springs (100)... and RR's while he's in there would be ideal (300). plus install will be hellacious as tim can't do it yet.

austin
Always new springs if you are doing a cam , but if it is a mild cam and the old pushrods check out good use them. But a real performance cam you need new pushrods.

Changing a cam is not for the inexperienced. I have had 2 people I know nick their cam bearings installing the cam and spun the cam bearings out within 2 weeks of doing the work.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
yea, i am getting my friend at ford, he has done many cam swaps and rebuilt motors all that, im letting him do every step that i might screw up lol it might cost me a bit but i get to help and learn, and its MUCH better to let him do it than me mess it up.

·
Registered
187 Posts
redline performance aka rpm-mustangs.com has a nice selection of cams, pushrods, roller rockers, springs to choose from. give them a call to and they can hook u up with a nice package for around $350-400. really nice for 15RWHP N/A engine. and 30+RWHP for s/c engines.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
I have a RPM cam and heads I installed them in 8 hours start to finish but I have 26 years as a mechanic with more tools than most garages

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
I would be GREATLY honnored if you would come up when I do mine to give me a helping hand, I know Kevin can handle it but the more guys the better the chance i wont fudge something up lol. I am up here near brent so we could all get together. Let me know it will be in a couple few months on a saturday/sunday probably~

just a thought :)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts