Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall so in my 02 mustang gt I like to heel/toe downshift. I use half my foot on the brake and the other half to press the gas. Sometimes when i press the brake, I accidentally lightly touch or barely press the gas as the brake is being applied with the car still in gear. How bad is this? Does it put a lot of strain on my engine? Its usually light braking and very little force if none at all on the gas pedal.

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
Unless you are actually corner carving what you are doing is kinda pointless. Shouldn't hurt anything but I'd stop.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All i can think of is it puts a lot of stress on engine because it’s such a small amount of gas and the engine can’t do anything haha.

·
Registered
8,244 Posts
It's called "heel-to-toe braking".
A good skill to perfect if road-course driving is your thing.
The pedals in the GT aren't really set up that great for doing it though... They are too far apart.
Aside from prematurely wearing your brakes, it won't hurt anything if you are doing it incorrectly. Everyone has to learn somehow, and brakes are relatively inexpensive to replace.

Have fun and be safe!
:thumb:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's called "heel-to-toe braking".
A good skill to perfect if road-course driving is your thing.
The pedals in the GT aren't really set up that great for doing it though... They are too far apart.
Aside from prematurely wearing your brakes, it won't hurt anything if you are doing it incorrectly. Everyone has to learn somehow, and brakes are relatively inexpensive to replace.

Have fun and be safe!
Thanks! I have an aftermarket throttle plate that helps my foot get over and i think this contributes to it being easier to accidentally tap the gas. 😂 but my main concern is engine wear haha but sounds like it’s not a big deal. Thanks again

·
Lorraine's driver
8,167 Posts
Downshifting a lot, like 5 to 4 to 3 to 2 etc at every intersection, curve in the road, etc all the time is mainly just wearing out your clutch and TOB faster IMO. If you're doing this only when you go up in the mountains, like tail of the dragon in TN or some other great curvy road, then it's for fun right. Straybullitt is correct, the newedge Mustang brake and gas pedal are in a horrible location for doing that, so you're working a lot harder for that fun lol. Typically, I'll downshift into 4th as I'm slowing down from highway speeds. That's about all I do.

·
Registered
8,244 Posts
I have a 01 Bullitt that came from the factory with a pedal assembly spaced closer together to better facilitate heel-to-toe braking. I've used that method, but never became truly comfortable, so, as a result, I'm just as fast not using it. I drive the Mustang like it is a Miata, using a lot of momentum, braking mostly to counter the horrible understeer inherent with these cars, and bringing the power back in judiciously at the exit of the apex.

Most of the really fast, serious drivers are proficient at heel-to toe, though.

Enjoy!
:)

·
Registered
8,244 Posts
Downshifting a lot, like 5 to 4 to 3 to 2 etc at every intersection, curve in the road, etc all the time is mainly just wearing out your clutch and TOB faster IMO. If you're doing this only when you go up in the mountains, like tail of the dragon in TN or some other great curvy road, then it's for fun right. Straybullitt is correct, the newedge Mustang brake and gas pedal are in a horrible location for doing that, so you're working a lot harder for that fun lol. Typically, I'll downshift into 4th as I'm slowing down from highway speeds. That's about all I do.
I agree.
Not a big fan of downshifting unnecessarily.

I suppose that autocross taught me to just pick a gear and run the entire course in it.... I do the same thing on a mountain road, usually second gear, and run it to the rev-limiter!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree.

I suppose that autocross taught me to just pick a gear and run the entire course in it.... I do the same thing on a mountain road, usually second gear, and run it to the rev-limiter!
Thanks! Autocross is fun, love it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a 01 Bullitt that came from the factory with a pedal assembly spaced closer together to better facilitate heel-to-toe braking. I've used that method, but never became truly comfortable, so, as a result, I'm just as fast not using it. I drive the Mustang like it is a Miata, using a lot of momentum, braking mostly to counter the horrible understeer inherent with these cars, and bringing the power back in judiciously at the exit of the apex.

Enjoy!
\

Thank you!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Enjoy!
Interesting, thank you!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I could see that happening, yeah. Thanks, do most people just release the clutch with nothing else to downshift?

·
Lorraine's driver
8,167 Posts
I could see that happening, yeah. Thanks, do most people just release the clutch with nothing else to downshift?

When I come up to a stop, I’ll keep it in 4th if I’m coming down from highway speeds (3rd if less than highway speeds) until I hit 1k RPM. Then I’ll just put it in neutral and let the pedal out. Most of my friends hold the clutch pedal in at stoplights etc. Not me, I leave it in neutral and get off the pedal.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When I come up to a stop, I’ll keep it in 4th if I’m coming down from highway speeds (3rd if less than highway speeds) until I hit 1k RPM. Then I’ll just put it in neutral and let the pedal out. Most of my friends hold the clutch pedal in at stoplights etc. Not me, I leave it in neutral and get off the pedal.
I think thats a good way to go about driving and preserve parts, etc. Thank you! I think leaving it in neutral is smart as well, but do you find that it takes a long time (because of required effort) to put it into first? I do haha

·
Lorraine's driver
8,167 Posts
I think thats a good way to go about driving and preserve parts, etc. Thank you! I think leaving it in neutral is smart as well, but do you find that it takes a long time (because of required effort) to put it into first? I do haha

Haha yeah I hate this TR3650 transmission. I usually have to slip it in this and the into first to get it to be easy. If that doesn’t work, I go into second then into first. It’s pretty damn silly lol.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Haha yeah I hate this TR3650 transmission. I usually have to slip it in this and the into first to get it to be easy. If that doesn’t work, I go into second then into first. It’s pretty damn silly lol.
Yeah, it takes quite a bit of effort for 1 to 2 and 4 to 5 for me.

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
I agree.

I do that a lot out here on a road that's about 3 miles long and like a traffic circle every half mile. Rev that thing in 2nd gear to 7k+ and scares the **** out of a lot of these Spanish drivers putting along on mopeds on the shoulder or in a little hatch in the right lane. Sometimes I shift to 3rd if I really get going, this car runs up to redline pretty damn quick even with the 3.27s, my tuner did a REAL good job with the remote tune.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts