Mustang Evolution Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,244 Posts
I do that a lot out here on a road that's about 3 miles long and like a traffic circle every half mile. Rev that thing in 2nd gear to 7k+ and scares the **** out of a lot of these Spanish drivers putting along on mopeds on the shoulder or in a little hatch in the right lane. Sometimes I shift to 3rd if I really get going, this car runs up to redline pretty damn quick even with the 3.27s, my tuner did a REAL good job with the remote tune.
I've done it for a ten mile stretch.... Probably not the best thing for the engine; but it sure is a lot of fun! :)
The road is highway 29 over Mt. Saint Helena, sort of our version of the Tail of the Dragon around here. It is the main artery to get to the nearest large metropolitan area from the county that I live in, so it is a rare thing to make a pass without getting caught behind traffic at some point. It is a 2 lane road with 4 or 5 passing lanes scattered throughout.
Many people use it to commute to work, so there are a lot of people who fancy themselves as road racers.... And some of them are actually very good at driving that road. I've been in countless, full-on, impromptu road races with the locals.
As you can imagine, there have been a few close-calls. A while back, someone spun out about 20 feet in front of me while I was setting up to go around him in a corner. I made it around without any contact, but for the first time in my life, it made me think about the consequences of what I was doing. The best possible outcome of engaging in that activity, would be me wadding the car up in the trees.... And it only gets worse from there.
I decided that I have had my fun racing people on that road. Very few were able to get around me in my old F250, and the Mustang is undefeated (Probably never came across the right car and driver).... So I quit while I was ahead.
I'll still make a late night/early morning hot pass every once in a while, but I am too competitive to be going door-to-door with folks on the public roads.

Have fun, but please try to stay safe out there, my friend.
:thumb:

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
Oh I'm not doing anything too crazy. The main roads here are actually really REALLY good, way better than in the states. The EU subsidizes the highways in all the member countries so even in countries with poorer economies like Spain the roads are amazing. Don't get me started on Germany... I had rental VW sedan up to 130mph on the Autobahn 100% legal and it was like driving on glass. And cars were still passing me lol... you could basically see the fuel gauge moving tho... If I retire and go to Germany as a contractor I am 100% going to buy and have shipped over a 07-09 GT500 garage queen white with blue stripes and replicate the Ford commercial they had for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ezJyRkIH0Y

21 - 22 of 22 Posts