Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,283 Posts
That's a tragedy... For everyone involved.
The teenage boys were being reckless and irresponsible... As teen boys will do. It is likely that they will live with a lifetime of remorse for what they have done.
I can't help but to wonder what in the world could have possibly prevented that young mother from hearing two cars coming down the road towards her, and her daughter, (Who she was pushing along in a jogging stroller) at a high rate of speed.

It can be a cruel world...

·
Registered
8,283 Posts
Stop street drags. It's so easy to go the local Drag-Strip for grudge racing.
The thing is, it really isn't that easy...
It can be both expensive and time consuming. As an autocrosser, I spend 4-5 hours standing around in the hot sun for the privilege of driving my car real fast for 3-4 MINUTES!
Most tracks have become real "stickler's" about having the appropriate safety equipment for the times/speeds that your car is running. Cars have become much more powerful, and much safer, in the last couple of decades. NHRA safety regulations haven't been keeping up with modern technology, and they require roll bars be installed in cars that will basically encase you in a pillow of airbags in the event of an accident. The safety equipment that they require essentially ruins the car for practical use as a daily driver.
There are quite a few factory built automobiles that you can technically drive off of the showroom floor straight to the drag strip, make one pass, and get kicked out for not having the proper safety equipment.

I'm not trying to justify street racing. Or bash sanctioned racing, for that matter.
I suppose that this is a dilemma that has existed ever since the second car was built...

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a tragedy... For everyone involved.
The teenage boys were being reckless and irresponsible... As teen boys will do. It is likely that they will live with a lifetime of remorse for what they have done.
I can't help but to wonder what in the world could have possibly prevented that young mother from hearing two cars coming down the road towards her, and her daughter, (Who she was pushing along in a jogging stroller) at a high rate of speed.

It can be a cruel world...
Hopelessly hopeless on many fronts, I agree. The mother more than likely was using some form of earbuds to talk on the phone or listen to Spotify while jogging.
And who would let a teen drive their 460 HP Mustang to begin with? According to the reports this morning, the two cars that were racing were weaving in and out of other traffic for quite a distance, so the “recklessness” this involved was a longer term decision than just a stop light Grand Prix type of thing......just stupid, for which they will pay for the rest of their lives...

·
Registered
725 Posts
Guard, I think you nailed it. Tragedy for all.
Bullitt, At our local small time drag strip the EPD actually sponsors the grudge races and encourages the hot rodders to participate so hopefully it will keep it off the street. However, if your car is faster than 9.10 you will be stopped as the track run off is too short for faster cars.

·
Super Moderator
17,864 Posts
Please don't blame the victim for this in any sense... even bringing it up. She might have had earbuds in, or heard the cars and expected them to like... not be out of their lanes or she might have been deaf. Who knows. And it really doesn't matter.

Kids should have a minimum 10 year ban from their license and serve full time for manslaughter.

I've also been a proponent of requiring a "high performance" license for a long time if you are going to get a car over a certain power level. Seriously, some people shouldn't be in some of these new 300hp FWD sedans much less a 460hp RWD coupe. Especially new drivers. The whole system of driving is messed up anyway. Minimal to 0 training to pilot a 4,000lb hunk of metal down a highway at 80mph with hundreds of other drivers in the same boat.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Please don't blame the victim for this in any sense... even bringing it up. She might have had earbuds in, or heard the cars and expected them to like... not be out of their lanes or she might have been deaf. Who knows. And it really doesn't matter.

Kids should have a minimum 10 year ban from their license and serve full time for manslaughter.

I've also been a proponent of requiring a "high performance" license for a long time if you are going to get a car over a certain power level. Seriously, some people shouldn't be in some of these new 300hp FWD sedans much less a 460hp RWD coupe. Especially new drivers. The whole system of driving is messed up anyway. Minimal to 0 training to pilot a 4,000lb hunk of metal down a highway at 80mph with hundreds of other drivers in the same boat.
Scotty.....you are right that the victim(s) here deserve no (comparative) blame. I was only trying to think out loud as to why she possibly did not hear two vehicles approaching at high speed before attempting to cross right in front of them. Well — OK — perhaps that sounds like describing blame doesn’t it? Contributory for sure IF that was the case, she SHOULD have been more careful and aware — especially with her baby in a jogging stroller in front of her.....but no excuse, as you describe for putting an inexperienced driver in the seat of a 460 HP RWD car either.

·
Registered
8,283 Posts
When you earn a Private Pilot License, typically, at first, the license allows you to operate a single engine airplane with less than 200 hp. When you want to start flying faster, more complex airplanes, you receive instruction from a certified flight instructor in a high performance airplane, with more than 200 hp, an adjustable pitch propeller, and retractable landing gear. After completion of the training, you receive an endorsement in your flight log book stating that you are competent to fly a high performance airplane. Most of the focus of that high performance training is learning how to operate the propeller correctly, and fully understanding the retractable landing gear system. But the main thing that the instructor is looking for, is that the pilot is remembering to extend the landing gear before each landing! Lots of touch and goes, if I recall...

I'm not sure how you would be able to train someone to not do stupid things on the public roadways. In any vehicle.
You could teach someone how to control their vehicle. And you could teach someone how to drive fast.
I just don't know if that would do much to prevent this sort of thing from occurring in the future.

·
Registered
8,283 Posts
Scotty.....you are right that the victim(s) here deserve no (comparative) blame. I was only trying to think out loud as to why she possibly did not hear two vehicles approaching at high speed before attempting to cross right in front of them. Well — OK — perhaps that sounds like describing blame doesn’t it? Contributory for sure IF that was the case, she SHOULD have been more careful and aware — especially with her baby in a jogging stroller in front of her.....but no excuse, as you describe for putting an inexperienced driver in the seat of a 460 HP RWD car either.
Precious cargo always needs to be handled with extra care.
There is no excuse for not taking extra caution when crossing a busy road, known for speeding cars, with a toddler...
I'll bet that it hurts just as bad to get hit by a vehicle going 45 mph, as it does to get hit by one going 80...

With that said, the young man driving the car, at least, and probably everyone involved in the race, are the ones who are ultimately responsible, driving too fast to have any hope of avoiding a pedestrian if one should happen to step into the roadway.

·
Registered
8,283 Posts
Guard, I think you nailed it. Tragedy for all.
Bullitt, At our local small time drag strip the EPD actually sponsors the grudge races and encourages the hot rodders to participate so hopefully it will keep it off the street. However, if your car is faster than 9.10 you will be stopped as the track run off is too short for faster cars.
More municipalities should do this.
In the absence of a nearby drag strip, they could close down a road, or an airport runway every once in awhile and let everyone have at it.

·
Super Moderator
17,864 Posts
Yep, they should. Insurance issues are the biggest thing tho. You can have everyone on board with the event and if they can't insure it then no-go... Like that with a lot of stuff even menial things like soccer fields for your kid's game or if you are doing paintball or whatever.

·
Registered
77 Posts
This will probably be an unpopular opinion, but I don't have a problem with street racing as a whole.

If you get a group together out in the middle of nowhere at night, I wouldn't trip over myself with faux outrage and call for the participant's heads. Yes it is illegal and if someone is caught, then suffer the consequences. This is completely different during mid day in traffic especially in neighborhoods.

I often get people manning up against me in rush hour traffic of all things. have at it Hoss. I am not STOOOPID.

If you disagree fine, but I would say that one needs to be consistent in their criticism and do not watch/support 1320, Tesla Racing Channel or similar YouTube channels that highlight street racing in "Mexico."

·
Registered
77 Posts
Is the driving test still 3-point turn, parallel parking, and basic start-stop? Because that covers everything. :banghead:

In my ideal world, a graduated license:

1. So many hours behind a MANUAL vehicle. You must pass phase 1 of license with a manual.
2. Phase 2 requires additional hours and/or written test to drive an automatic.
3. Phase 3 for "high performance" vehicles.

I have been driving for 20 years and even with that I will say I would benefit from such training. I would love to go to Bondurant Racing school, but it's expensive. Maybe it should be...

·
Registered
8,283 Posts
Practically every driver could benefit from a performance driving course. And requiring such a course before driving a high performance vehicle would likely help prevent inexperienced drivers from wadding up their cars due to a lack of respect for the power that modern automobiles are capable of producing.
I think that the majority of high performance car owners can operate their vehicles safely with no additional drivers training. For all intents and purposes, a high performance car drives exactly like a low performance car during normal day to day driving.
It really wouldn't be fair to require some 70 year old guy who buys a new Corvette, to get a high performance license, just because a small minority of performance car owners have no skills, self-control, common sense, etc.
I think that the most that should be done, is perhaps to restrict drivers below the age of 18 years old to operate vehicles with a power to weight ratio of greater than 11 pounds per horsepower.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I actually believe people over 65 should have to get tested for driving skills every 3-5 yrs. almost at that age (57)
I am going to be 66 years old in a couple of months, and I have intentionally slowed down a LOT from some of the stupid “stuff” I did 20 years ago. I know my reaction time and perceptions have slowed as well.....but I still love a three gear kick down in a tunnel with the top down!!!:thumb:

·
Registered
8,283 Posts
I actually believe people over 65 should have to get tested for driving skills every 3-5 yrs. almost at that age (57)
They already do that in California. Once you hit seventy you need to take the written test, and the vision test every time that you renew your drivers license. The DMV can also require a practical driving examination in certain cases.

·
Registered
87 Posts
From what ive seen pics of and read these kids were 20 over the limit and she was within the limits of a cross walk. As well as this being a busy street and a fairly busy tourist area. Not much of a way to defend the kids. RIP to the mother and daughter!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts