Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well.. Im really disappointed. I bought this car a year ago and I couldn't have fun with it. It is a 2012 5.0 that I really love and hate. I got the car used. It has boss302 manifold and maybe tune, cat back and air filter intake. I don't know if it has more stuff done to it. Well my problem is that the car shows check engine light all the time especially when i try to race. Car is so fast but when CE light shows up it turns to a v4 no power at all and i can feel the missfiring. I scanned it and the code showing was p0353 ignition coil c primary/secondary circuit malfunction. I did a research and it says it could be wiring problem. So I began with changing the coil connector clips along with the spark plugs. I payed a lot for 8 clips and 8 spark plugs but I thought it would fix it. But it didn't. So I moved deeper and changed two coils and did coil swap but it didn't get fixed. Then the last thing i did is changing all the 8 injectors cuz car is running lean at that time and swapping injectors relocate the problem but today i got two codes instead of one. I got p0353 which is the same previous code and p0315 cranck shaft postiotion system variation not learned. At this moment I really feel I don't wanna do anything anymore. Im totally lost. Let me know if u ever seen or had this problem I would really appreciate any help

·
Banned
145 Posts
I would imagine that it was tuned if it has a BOSS 302 manifold along with a CIA.

When you say the light "shows up" does it stay lit or does it flash while you get on the gas? If the light flashes, that is bad news. That indicates a serious failure. In my experience when I first data logged for VMP, the engine power loss was terrible and I could hear the knock. It was bad. Ultimately, I believe this dumped fuel into the cats. I troubleshooted for 9 months and after data logging, talking to a few local tuners, I finally pulled the cats off and they were indeed melted. Kooks LTH and offroad x pipe resolved everything. Thank god, because I was getting frustrated after 9 months and thousands of dollars spent.

A couple of things:
1) When I scanned for DTC codes with my SCT X4 for the supercharger data logging, it never reported any if you can believe that. However, the p0315 I did get once before the supercharger install. It was a performance tune from Mid-Atlantic Performance. I cannot remember the exact procedure, but I think you can go into the SCT X4 and tell the ECU to "relearn" the crank position. I did that and it never came back. Someone needs to chime in if this can be done without the programmer.

2) What kind of plugs are you using? Are they gapped correctly?

3) What kind of COPS?

4) Have you checked the harness for shorts and/or opens? <---- This one will NOT be fun.

5) Is this repeatable?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I would imagine that it was tuned if it has a BOSS 302 manifold along with a CIA.

When you say the light "shows up" does it stay lit or does it flash while you get on the gas? If the light flashes, that is bad news. That indicates a serious failure. In my experience when I first data logged for VMP, the engine power loss was terrible and I could hear the knock. It was bad. Ultimately, I believe this dumped fuel into the cats. I troubleshooted for 9 months and after data logging, talking to a few local tuners, I finally pulled the cats off and they were indeed melted. Kooks LTH and offroad x pipe resolved everything. Thank god, because I was getting frustrated after 9 months and thousands of dollars spent.

A couple of things:
1) When I scanned for DTC codes with my SCT X4 for the supercharger data logging, it never reported any if you can believe that. However, the p0315 I did get once before the supercharger install. It was a performance tune from Mid-Atlantic Performance. I cannot remember the exact procedure, but I think you can go into the SCT X4 and tell the ECU to "relearn" the crank position. I did that and it never came back. Someone needs to chime in if this can be done without the programmer.

2) What kind of plugs are you using? Are they gapped correctly?

3) What kind of COPS?

4) Have you checked the harness for shorts and/or opens? <---- This one will NOT be fun.

5) Is this repeatable?
before everything, I thank u for ur reply :flowers: and i really need ur support guys
I think we are having different problems cuz the CE light does not flash in mine but it goes when i erase it and comes back when ever i use the car harder than regular driving and that when it acts so bad.
plugs installed is oem plugs.
I dont know what COPS mean
I did not check the harneess myself but wires looks ok
and yes it is repeatable everyday i erase codes and have the same problem.
one more thing we did smoke test and it showed that we dont have manifold vacuum leak

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Do a crank relearn with your X4.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
Running like this for a year?!?!?

get a good tune rather than "maybe" tune

It sounds like you have a real problem....don't wait on this or you can damage your engine (even more).

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
It sounds like the previous owner left mods on your car and set the tune back to stock. Then traded it in. So you have the stock tune, with engine mods requiring a new tune.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Sounds like something is triggering a limp mode as well. With mods and a stock tune, you are possible exceeding the target load values and the tune is trying to neuter the car to compensate. Really, datalogging and tuning, or returning the car to 100% factory stock are the best two options for diagnosing / eliminating the issue(s).

·
Registered
22 Posts
You need to do a thorough diagnosis.

Reading your original post and wondering if you even looked at your coil packs (COPs). COP = coil over plug; each cylinder has a dedicated ignition coil. Each coil is mounted directly over the spark plug and secured with a single screw-in fastener.

·
Registered
900 Posts
It sounds like the previous owner left mods on your car and set the tune back to stock. Then traded it in. So you have the stock tune, with engine mods requiring a new tune.
This was my thought as well. If you contact a tuner and pay for a tune, they will write a tune and you can data log afterwards to see what's going on. VMP or Steeda are my suggestion but there are others.

·
Registered
551 Posts
There's a couple of TSBs out there (TSB 13-1-11 & TSB 13-6-15) regarding the crank position sensor and associated fixes for misfiring.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts