Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is putting 24's on a 99 a disaster waiting to happen? If not will it at least have a negative impact on performance and overall driving and would you need to adjust other things to fit the wheel?

99 3.8

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
A 24" wheel with a tire would not fit in the wheel wells without a lot of modifications. I'm my opinion a 24" wheel would be a disaster on all accounts.

Let's imagine for a moment that you can run a large diameter wheel; the ride would be abusive. The sidewall of the tire would be a rubber band that gives no flex. This would not only provide a rough ride, it would overwork the suspension, steering components, and transfer the harshness of every road reflector through the axles and drive train.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

---------- Post added at 12:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 AM ----------

A 24" wheel with a tire would not fit in the wheel wells without a lot of modifications. I'm my opinion a 24" wheel would be a disaster on all accounts.

Let's imagine for a moment that you can run a large diameter wheel; the ride would be abusive. The sidewall of the tire would be a rubber band that gives no flex. This would not only provide a rough ride, it would overwork the suspension, steering components, and transfer the harshness of every road reflector through the axles and drive train.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
On a 94-04 please go no bigger than an 18". Anything bigger doesn't not fit the lines of the car, and is much less safe, and a huge hit on performance. You will have a hard time finding people here that would condone sticking excessively large wheels on a Mustang. Most of us here aim to increase performance and looks, not degrade them drastically.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea I want to get 17 but the only reason I asked that was because a got for perfectly good 24 rims just collecting dust in my closet

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Yea I want to get 17 but the only reason I asked that was because a got for perfectly good 24 rims just collecting dust in my closet
I personally like a 17" on new edges. If you have 24s collecting dust, then sell them. May cover your cost on a set of wheels designed for the car. Wider is almost always better than taller. I like the 17x9 & 17x10.5" staggered setup. I have my wheels sitting in the guest bedroom waiting for rubber right now. But even an 18" looks good on a 94-04. Any bigger just looks ridiculous.

Here is a 17x10.5". Wrap em in a 305-315, and good to go. Looks good and actually helps traction. The six cylinder doesn't need something that wide, but it does look good. There are a few guy here running a nice staggered setup on the 3.8.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Mustang Evolution mobile app

1 - 11 of 11 Posts