Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 different tunes from 3 different companies and I only use 93 octane. I wonder if the stock CAI is too restricted? Would a steeda CAI help? I even have a TPS booster which helps a bit but the sluggish throttle climb is still there. It's like I don't have a 1:1 power output, I don't get that raw power from the engine. Even just the way the engine sounds it sounds sluggish. Would I benefit from disabling any Torque Management settings in the tunes? Can that be tuned out? Do tuners do that? I don't want any nanny systems to help protect clutch/engine or whatever unless it 100% necessary. I just want the power output like it's supposed to be. Any suggestions ?? Thanks...

·
Premium Member
6,964 Posts
Your Stock CAI is good. Who's tunes did you have?

Pick your poison.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
A tuned 5.0 is generally a monster. It gains a lot of low end toque and a little up top typically.

Again, whose tunes are these?

If you tune and things don't respond well, you might need to look at engine condition or other causes.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
According to American Muscle, they describe their 93 Race Tune as the one with the most responsive throttle but their Street and Performance Tunes as less responsive but with more low end torque for daily driving.

I've never tried their Street or Performance but have had a "hybrid" tune from them. My butt dyno showed a difference in power with the hybrid tune. Are you running a race tune or something?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I use bama, mpt and steeda. I have nothing negative towards the tunes. The car may have an issue somewhere. I always use race 93. They feel underpowered because the tps booster helps a lot but the underlying problem is still there. When I turn off the tps booster I can feel the sluggish car. Tires are properly inflated. I wonder if the stock clutch is worn out but it performs fine.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Sounds like you want a better tune, try Lund or AED and tell them you want an aggressive throttle ramp. Dump the TPS booster. And maybe 3.73 gears?

·
Registered
737 Posts
"Race" tune mainly means you have to push the gas pedal less, so you feel "better" throttle response.

Actually annoying based on personal experience driving an 03 Mach and an 11 V6.

Is your throttle body clean?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like you want a better tune, try Lund or AED and tell them you want an aggressive throttle ramp. Dump the TPS booster. And maybe 3.73 gears?
I think the TPS booster works well actually. If I drive without it for a while and get used to it disabled and when switched on there's quite a difference in response time but I wish the tune work to my desire. Oh well I suppose.

"Race" tune mainly means you have to push the gas pedal less, so you feel "better" throttle response.

Actually annoying based on personal experience driving an 03 Mach and an 11 V6.

Is your throttle body clean?
I have not checked but that's a good idea for next weekend. I was curious to see how clean the MAF sensor was and it's perfectly clean I was surprised. I'm gonna try my non 93 tunes and see if I like it.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I think the TPS booster works well actually. If I drive without it for a while and get used to it disabled and when switched on there's quite a difference in response time but I wish the tune work to my desire. Oh well I suppose.

I have not checked but that's a good idea for next weekend. I was curious to see how clean the MAF sensor was and it's perfectly clean I was surprised. I'm gonna try my non 93 tunes and see if I like it.
Your tuner can accomplish the same thing by making your throttle map more aggressive

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Here's a little idea...maybe datalog a bit. Your 93 gas may be **** where you are and the computer is pulling timing. These cars are quite sensitive to octane and gas quality. Try giving yourself a little headroom and running a 91 tune. The difference here is only a couple degrees in the timing curve. My car is just as fast on a 91 tune as it is on the 93, track tested.

You could also just add some Torco or Lucas octane boost to the tank and see if things perk up a bit though, the other method is more trustworthy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts