Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
aslong as it gets the filter down away from the motor who cares? the tubing doesnt have that much effect on it,its just where the filter is...fenderwell is better then engine bay, etc

·
Registered
281 Posts
A regular CAI will also get rid of the 'ribbed' portion of the intake tubing past the MAF. The factory air box still pulls air from the exact same location of the CAI. The point of the CAI is to smooth the passage of air into the motor. I'm not saying there's NO benifit to having the filter outside the engine compartment, but it's definately not the only reason to get one.

Like SpectorV said:

"do it right or don't do it at all."

·
Registered
517 Posts
Bane- said:
aslong as it gets the filter down away from the motor who cares? the tubing doesnt have that much effect on it,its just where the filter is...fenderwell is better then engine bay, etc
I agree. Works just as good I guarantee it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you try to cut corners you will end up hating yourself for it in the long run. It is like the old saying that you get what you pay for. That doesn't mean to go out and buy the most expensive things that you can find but shop smart and don't impulse buy. Do research and check into things it will save you a headache later.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
I agree to a certain point, but this would be one of those instances were its not cutting corners and would be smarter...you dont need a chrome peice of aluminum to have cold air intake, yea looks a lil better then black plastic hose but they both serve the same purpose and both get the job down just as equal...and id put money on it...if u have a cai but the filter is still next to the motor your still sucking in hotair even with your expensive chrome plated aluminum tube. if its not in the fender well or lower like in the airdam like the march ramair system..its not really helping you any. all in all....so what if you have a "real" cai if its next to the motor its still useless.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Mjcorn23 said:
If you try to cut corners you will end up hating yourself for it in the long run. It is like the old saying that you get what you pay for. That doesn't mean to go out and buy the most expensive things that you can find but shop smart and don't impulse buy. Do research and check into things it will save you a headache later.
I agree. When you can get a CAI off of e-bay shipped to your door for 65 bucks or less, that you can put on by yourself, that requires no fabrication, and that many other people use with no problems, why screw around with trying to make one? Hardly seems worth all the extra effort to me. I mean, what if you didn't do it right and your filter falls off/out on a road trip?

There are many other things you can do that don't cost much, like the gas pedal mod. That one is worth the time.

But you should do what you want to do, after all, it's your ride.

Good luck!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Bane- said:
I agree to a certain point, but this would be one of those instances were its not cutting corners and would be smarter...you dont need a chrome peice of aluminum to have cold air intake, yea looks a lil better then black plastic hose but they both serve the same purpose and both get the job down just as equal...and id put money on it...if u have a cai but the filter is still next to the motor your still sucking in hotair even with your expensive chrome plated aluminum tube. if its not in the fender well or lower like in the airdam like the march ramair system..its not really helping you any. all in all....so what if you have a "real" cai if its next to the motor its still useless.
I disagree the black hose is the most constricting part of the intake and when you buy the CAI that is the main part you want to replace to get better air flow

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
3" is 3" (3" being example) doesnt matter if its aluminum or plastic if its smooth on the inside it dont matter and they will flow the same, Ive never seen or heard of aluminum being able to flow better then plastic thru the same diameter, then we would have aluminum tubes for all of our plumbing and not PVC since its basically plastic. the most important part of any cai is where the filter is sucking air in.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Turbulence. the air flowing through the ribbed black plastic tube is more turbulent than the smooth inner surface of the aluminum tubing.

I've done the K&N filter only, removed the silencer, the march ram air, and the CAI. The CAI gives the best results.

·
Registered
82 Posts
232stang01 said:
Turbulence. the air flowing through the ribbed black plastic tube is more turbulent than the smooth inner surface of the aluminum tubing.

I've done the K&N filter only, removed the silencer, the march ram air, and the CAI. The CAI gives the best results.
That is what I was trying to say it just didn't come out right I guess

·
Registered
281 Posts
Too bad someone doesn't just take a velometer and measure the drop in velocity across the black platic tube vs. the aluminum one. That'd clear it right up. Bummer I don't have access to one any more.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts