Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I raced a bmw 335 the other day (at the track) and he took me by about half a car I think he had a jb4 stage 3 tune injectors bov and exhaust
Any one else raced one of those cause he really suprised me

·
Registered
464 Posts
Yeah. My friend has one too. A full bolt on will run around 420 or so rwhp. Stock turbos and tuning really opens it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

---------- Post added at 04:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:10 AM ----------

Also e85 in those things adds a good chunk of power lol.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
A tuned 135i twin turbo took me by a few cars and I slowly reeled him in at like 130. He's tuned, intake, exhaust, bov. Those N54 motors really move. Plus he was light as crap weighing about 135 and I'm 200 and had a 250lb friend in the car lol. I'm stock.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
We raced until 100 then I was done
I started to catch up after about 60 or so

Yeah the 335i's are a bit heavier because it's a sedan so I would think anyone with a 5.0 could reel one in pretty easily. Nasty cars nonetheless and in not a fan of euro's. Tunes alone to those motors are good for 40-60 rwhp.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Yeah, just sucks that's there a lot of reliability issues with the n54s. Nonetheless they are roughly low 12s in the quarter when full bolt on. My friend ran a 12.2x on street tires

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well once I get mine tuned and figure out some other things I'm sure I'll be somewhere around there

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Yeah my pal's 135i has about 90k on it. No issues to speak of yet, but I'm sure routine maintenance is $$$

·
Registered
188 Posts
They are unreliable lol, people tune those turbos but its not made for the psi they tune too so they tend to break down a lot. My cousin has a 335i sedan and he has always had some kind of problems with it, and its stock also. But stock to stock a 5.0 should murder a 335i. Even if the 335i has a tune you should still be good.

·
Registered
464 Posts
It's the turbos and waste gate that are the issue. Also some big oil issues too. It's when you tune them to the 400rwhp range and above where issues really start happening.

Just search on bmw 335i issues and make sure it's the twin turbo one

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
The 1 series N54s have a significant weight advantage over a 5.0. They are 3200 pounds loaded for bear. The lowest you'll get a 5.0 with no options is about 3500 pounds.

The 3 series ones are more in line with 5.0 weights. Stock for stock, it's no contest in any race over a distance, 1 or 3 but, like any force inducted car, they can be made to scoot pretty easily. They are very strong out of the hole if equipped with an automatic, definitely enough to catch you napping if you aren't careful.

The factory "updates" on N54 engines actually detuned them slightly, which pissed off my friend that owns one and pushed him to go Dinan Stage 2.

·
Registered
188 Posts
After some cat deletes and a tune you would be right up with him if not ahead. Try changing your gears to 3.73 for better acceleration. Its a cheap mod for what you get.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have off-road h pipes and a tune and we are neck and neck. Only when I shift (manual) does my friend gain any lead. So tbh, from a roll, you might need a little more to successfully beat him more times than lose. But then again Idunnno cause every car is different.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts