Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm pretty sure it's an exhaust noise. Its fine when it idles but when I start to rev it or drive it, it makes like a weird popping noise. Repeatedly. I don't know if it's a broken gasket where it connects from behind the cats or a crack in the muffler. It can't be the cats because those ratlle when broken. This is more of a pop. Like i said when it's reving is when it makes the sound. If im driving and let off the gas the sound goes away.

SO, I THOUGHT it was an EXHAUST problem... but I looked into it more and i'm thinking it's an engine problem, like a gasket or something.
Here is a youtube video.
https://youtu.be/1Lj1RUqWe7g

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Hmmm sounds like valves timing chain slap or rod knock if its a rod knock then you engine is on the way out is your oil where its supposed to be others will have input but sounds like a rod knock because it increases with more rpms

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had a similar noise coming from the exhaust manifold. When i got my clutch replaced the mechanic forgot to tighten the manifold bolts all the way.
But you could have a bad flange gasket

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Easiest way to figure this out go to a Muffler shop to see if its an exhaust leak at that will rule that out

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
Valve rocker noise maybe. Use a wooden dowel, place it on area where noise is loudest and put your ear to the dowel. Or stethoscope (mechanics). It does not sound like a rod but it is hard to tell. Rattling loose metal shroud rear of engine area/cats. I had a loose metal shroud on another car that popped partially loose and rattled just like that.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Same noise as mine. No metal shavings in oil filter during oil change.

Loud during cold start up and it quiets down while its warmed up but still noticeable. I do have LT catted x pipe though. But doesn't sound like exhaust but could be wrong. I figured it was something to do with the timi g chain.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Took it to jiffy lube, they took a look under the car and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. They also checked fluids and everything was perfect... Can't tell what's wrong exactly. I'm hoping it's just something loose, but can't seem to pinpoint it.

·
Premium Member
6,003 Posts
Took it to jiffy lube, they took a look under the car and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.
Don't do this... most of the guys working there can barely turn a wrench let alone diagnose an engine noise

·
Registered
455 Posts
Have you had the plugs changed recently? I had a noise on my 2000 GT that I thought was a exhaust leak, but it was the #1 plug, it actually blew out of the head! :(

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Yeah a lot worse. Know for experience. Sounds nothing like a blown plug.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
**UPDATE**

So I noticed that the sound only starts to happen once the car has warmed up a bit. If I drive it cold the noise doesn't happen. It'll take like 4 to 5 minutes for the noise to start. Also, I noticed when I engage and disengage the clutch it makes the sound when the clutch is about halfway in (going all the way down) and again at the halfway mark when I let off the clutch (on the way back up).

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
finally had a chance to listen to the audio. doesnt sound internal to me, but thats mostly guesswork on what it sounds like in person.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts