Mustang Evolution Forum banner

121 - 140 of 721 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #121 (Edited)
News about my sway bar that was touching the chassis, a picture will be more explicit than explanation:

The black one is a cheap 1" bar from CJ
The grey one is a pricy 24mm bar from Whiteline

As you can see on the picture, the angles are clearly not the same... On my lowered 66 now I have almost 2" clearance with the chassis where is was in contact with the black one.
Another interesting fact is that even if the diameters are quite similar, the cheap bar is heavy as hell.

As my Mom always says : "we're not rich enough to buy cheap products"
always listen to your Mom, she's sooooooo right!

problem solved.

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
As my late father always said, "You can make a silk purse out of sows ear", and he was usually right. Buying the cheapest suspension parts is never a good idea, my words like my late fathers are..."Buy the best parts your wallet can afford and if they can't afford the best...save until you can".
Although some people don't like Whiteline...my 14 TrakPak had all Whiteline suspension pieces...great quality.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #123 (Edited)
Still not sure of the wheels in 15x7 I want to buy... Torq thrust D or Magnum500.
Probably the Magnums.
And tire size 225/60r15 on 4 corners I guess, or 215/60r15 in front?

Question is : what tires?
BF Radial? something else?
Goodyear Eagle GT2? (they look so fantastic classic but I don't find them as easy as the BF)
Cooper Cobra Radial?
good adress for that?

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
Personally I would run all four tires the same size....it looks much better than staggered on the old Mustangs. With old style front suspension you want as much rubber in the front as you get if you want to go around corners fast.
I would think the tires would mostly be the same, read reviews and make choice.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
OK, so 4 tires the same, that would be 225/60/15 I guess for an early body.
But what tireshould I chose?
BF? Goodyear? something else?

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
The tires....not in this size....that I've had experience are Goodyear Eagle is a good looking tire and handling...Cooper Ultra Touring is good looking and performed well...Hankook is a good tire and in my estimation Michelin A/S was the best, giving the least noise of all of the above especially the Goodyear, and the best performance...although they are the most expensive...they were the longest wearing also.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Of course Michelins are good, they're french!
:-D
For a more modern car, my choice would be Michelin PS3 with no hesitation... But I don't think the look matches my project:
I would like a classic look with white letters.
All the classic part shops sell the BF but when I look to pictures on Google I see many others tires with letters.

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
Yes my friend....they are French.
I have never been a fan of "white lettered" tires....although on early Muscle Cars that came with them I guess they look good...on a 64-1/2 to 66 I just don't like the looks. My favorite wheel is the Shelby 10 spoke and blackwall tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #129 (Edited)
OK so for the wheels I guess I'll go with a set of 15x7 Magnum 500s and "BF ta radial rwl" in 225/60.
An absolute classic, I don't think I can go wrong with this choice.

New project ongoing: AC
(yes, I live in Texas, this is kind of important stuff here and summer approches)
I've found a cheap original 1966 under dash unit. I've opened it, motor and bezel works great. I just have to test the thermostat and buy new registers.
I think I'm gonna order a new evaporator coil to be on the safe side.

Now my question : Do you guys know where I could buy a COMPLETE AC kit without the underdash evaporator?
I need everything!
condenser, drier, compressor, hoses, brakets, hardware...
I want to use R134A fluid. I heard that the original evaporator would handle the extra pressure (but I won't try with a 50 year old one)
My car was originaly equiped with AC: I already have the holes for hoses in the firewall.

FYI: 302 / Borgeson PS

Which shop could I ask? should I contact directly Classic Auto Air?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
About Magnum 500 chromed wheels, some shops don't specify a brand name, some propose Vintique, some propose Scott Drake...
Which one would be the best quality?
prices are in the same range...

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
I've bought wheels and had special made wheels from Wheels Vintique and know their wheels are quality....not sure where Scott Drake and others buy them from or maybe they buy from Wheel Vintiques. I'd buy made in the USA rather than somewhere else.
If the shop you are buying from won't say who made them I'd pass....IMHO

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
cheapest price I've actualy found is on Summit, 160 for Vintique...
Still looking

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Oh damn... clutch is once again out of adjustment.
As 2 days ago I've took the Z-bar linkage out of the car and then reinstalled and adjusted, I'm getting to the point where I feel like the only thing to do is look at it and cry.
I'm upset not to understand what's going on.
Something is going wrong to mess with the setting that quickly and (at the moment) I just don't get it!

How can I get definitivly rid of this problem?
hydraulic?
cable?

:banghead:

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #136 (Edited)
Good to read that the clutch mechanisme was badly designed but it doesn't help me much.

I've re-adjusted the clutch this afternoon. Just now I went to pick up something to eat and... on my way back once again... hard to get it free.

Since I've installed that Borgeson linkage it has been a nightmare.

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
Maybe the Borgeson linkage is the issue.
A hydraulic clutch is the answer, just a lot or work not to mention money.
I had a cable clutch in 97 Cobra and would never have one again...the reason the newer Mustangs went hydraulic.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
When I really think about it, all the cars I had up to now, Germans, French, italian, English all had a clutch cable. The only car I had a problem with is a 92 Mini with a hydraulic clutch where I couldn't set correctly my free play either!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #139 (Edited)
Hi my friends!
a few computer problems, I didn't post for a few weeks, but I've worked a lot!

1- for the clutch, I've shorten the lower linkage and made the upper one longer... it works!
pedal is still quite hard but for the moment it works.

2- I've finally chose my wheels : Magnum 500 with 225/60/15 tires: it looks AWESOME !!!!

3- I've welded supports under my car and installed traction bars : the improvement in driving is way beyond what I expected, I love these bars.
the rear end is stiffer, and really more precise at higher speeds.

4- the weird noise I had in the back was a broken bearing... replaced both plus seals, plus flush. noise is gone!
onebearing was so rusted on the axle that even the press couldn't get it out: I had to cut it.

5- I've got my car aligned, I didn't do it after the Borgeson install but I had to do it after replacing my coils by Mustang plus 620 (I've cut 1/4 of a coil)
I asked for the maximum camber possible but they where not able to go further than 2°
I wonder if I'm not gonna buy another UCA with built in +3 camber...

6- I've received my Classic auto air parts!
I've finished rebuilding my 66 under dash with new evaporator and 4 new chrome bezels : it looks great... no, in fact it doesn't look anything, it looks like it has always been there, I don't even see it.
I've installed the pump support, had to move a little bit the Borgeson steering pump, but no big deal... except that the support is sent in bare metal, not painted... thanks classic auto air, I had to buy paint.
I've installed the condenser and dryer: what a job, I didn't realise that I would have to disassemble all the front face! took me way longer than I had planed : I ended at 1am, not fun.

So, now the AC install is complete with all the hoses and everything.
Actualy I'm wiring it, I've just gotta find a 15Amp fuse to finish it properly.
before the end of the week a guy from work will look for leaks and if good... hopefully I'll have AC next weekend !
:)

121 - 140 of 721 Posts