Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I last night I left my lights on battery died, or a jump drove for about 5 mins car shut off completely at a stop light. Got another jump drove home and this mornin the car won't start. Alternator or battery?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
It seems like your battery is trash.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
That's what I figured. I wanted to see before I went and bought anything
The test for that is if your battery is going south,but you can run the engine. You disconnect the battery with the engine running. If the car dies it's the alternator. If you disconnect the battery and it stays running it's your battery.

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
I last night I left my lights on battery died, or a jump drove for about 5 mins car shut off completely at a stop light. Got another jump drove home and this mornin the car won't start. Alternator or battery?
Maybe both. Once you jump started the car the first time, the alternator should have been charging the battery and gotten you home without another jump.

Sometimes, when you fully discharge a battery like that it heats up the plates when the voltage gets really low and they can bend and contact, shorting out 2 or more cells in the battery, so it may be junk at this point. You will need to recharge it and have it load tested to see if it is any good. You should have the alternator tested too, to ensure whether it is working or not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts