Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pretty much got my heart set on these rims.

280 Motor Sport R, 5 lug, 17"x9", Chrome. But for tires I'm lost. Thinking 245/45/17 Nittos

Guide me. :thumb2:

·
You want to **** me?
4,043 Posts
nittos would be good... realize if you get a Z rated tire that youre not going to get more then like 25k miles outta them.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I have Kumho Ecsta Supra 712s on mine and have nothing but love for them. They come with a good 1/2" of tread and after 11k miles I still probably have 80-90% of it left. The tire guy said I'd be lucky if I got 16k out of them, because they're soft-compound "race" tires... :rolleyes: I have a 3k stall tq. converter too, so you know I'm doing burnouts at every stop. :headbang:

·
Registered
941 Posts
a 9" wide wheel is meant to have 275/40/17's. just as an fyi, 7" = 205-215, 8" = 245, 9" = 275, 10" = ~315. if you go with 245's you'll get curb rash easily, plus you will not get that great handling. i love my bfg g force t/a kdw tires, which are available in 275/40/17. :headbang:

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
I will tell you Michelins AS are really nice and come with a decent warranty unlike most Z rated tires. Nitto have great traction but dont last when driven aggressive. Kumho's dont have any mileage warranty but are aggressive tires. Goodyear F1 are really really bad tires if you get a year out of them you are lucky and when pressed aggressively they loose traction. Everyone I know with a car that had F1's took them off.

·
You want to **** me?
4,043 Posts
if youre not lookin for as much of an aggressive tire ive got dayton daytona's on my car. Theyre H rated and have lasted quite a while now... ive been pretty impressed with them. Even on the track i was able to grip really nicely. theyre 245/45/17s

i used to have some bridgstone potenza re730s they were badass tires just didnt last me more then 20k miles :| for 700 bucks i figured id get a tire that lasted a lil bit longer then next time ;)

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
H rate will last much longer than Z rated but you will have some diminished cornering ability. Ther are always trade offs

·
You want to **** me?
4,043 Posts
yeah thats one thing i defanitely noticed the first time i drove on them. they didnt take turns nearly as well

·
Registered
941 Posts
dangerdude, why do you think that speed rating is so strongly correlated to wear? H/Z/most other letter just indicate speeds and temps that the tires are meant to go to. true, z's may not last you quite as long as an h or s, but it's basically just for a higher top speed and better cornering.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
All Z rated tires are made of softer compounds . When you drive aggressively you leave more rubber behind as you drive especially when they heat up, not to mention the wider the tire the more contact the tire makes to the road surface generating more heat making the tire material even softer.

·
Registered
941 Posts
so what kinda of differences are we talking about... a similar h and z rated tire would last 10, 20, more % difference in life assuming same class/use and regular wear and mileage rating from maker?

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
If you have a good quality H and Z rated tire and drive them identically as Michelin does here in Greenville, you will see 20-30 % more tire loss from a Z rated tire. But remember everyone drives differently and a aggressive driver with H rated tires wont last as long as a cautious drive that rarely goes over the speed limit with a car with Z rated tires are not mileage rated by the manufacture so no mileage warranty.

·
Registered
941 Posts
ok, thanks for the info. that was the down side about the tire shop i worked at... we had to special order high performance tires of any sort, plus our main demographic are old women who could care less about tires so long as they were 'safe'. so no z rated tires are mileage rated? i'm going to look at my bfg paperwork and see just to make sure.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Oh. We're talking 17x9. :oops: I've got 18x9"s w/ 275/35/ZR18s and I rub all the time. Not sure about 17"s... They probably don't rub.. Or else Ford would make the wheel wells bigger for the GTs.

·
You want to **** me?
4,043 Posts
V6PowerStang said:
so what kinda of differences are we talking about... a similar h and z rated tire would last 10, 20, more % difference in life assuming same class/use and regular wear and mileage rating from maker?
ill tell you this... ive driven about 30k miles in the time that ive had my H rated tires on my car and ive worn them about 1/2 way down. I rotate them regulary and drive aggressively... i did the same thing with my Z rated tires and i wore those out within 20-22k...

the z rated were bridgestone and the H rated are dayton's.. dunno how much different they make their tires but ill defanitely conder getting daytons Z rated line in my next tire (i want the cornering ability back... its a huge difference)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts