Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to take the long road of creating my own 'Boss' mustang, Boss 281 to be precise. I'll list here my current list of upgrades and then my proposed. Just looking for some suggestions on the proposed i.e. what manufacturer or even different upgrades all together.

Current:
FRPP CAI
FRPP Hot Rod Cams
Kooks long tube headers, High-flow cats and X mid-pipe
Pypes Violators axlebacks
PA Performance High Output Alternator- 200 Amp

Proposed:
FRPP Intake Manifold
3.73 gears
FRPP CNC Ported Heads
Ford Racing 62mm TB or GT500 TB
TCI Streetfighter Torque Converter
Coil over suspension
brake upgrade
and all upgrades that need to go along with these in order for them to work properly and efficiently.

I am definitely looking to keep this car naturally aspirated although I have considered a S/C somewhere down the line, but not for a long time, if ever.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
With your cams and then the possible addition of the manifold, 3.73s, as you already stand is weak. I would say 4.10. 4.30 would be more ideal.

·
Registered
913 Posts
+1

Ya I would go 4.10s especially if your keeping it naturally aspirated

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wait, 4.30? I've never heard of anyone using those it's always been 3.73 and 4.10.. Do remember I have an automatic, so does that change anything?

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Wait, 4.30? I've never heard of anyone using those it's always been 3.73 and 4.10.. Do remember I have an automatic, so does that change anything?
4.10 is usually a good blend of driveablity and torque production. 4.30 is more the former than the latter. Cams and manifolds, which make power up high, will be giving up a bit of HP if you go higher than 4.10s the more I think about it.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
4.10 is usually a good blend of driveablity and torque production. 4.30 is more the former than the latter. Cams and manifolds, which make power up high, will be giving up a bit of HP if you go higher than 4.10s the more I think about it.

Ok, then. Sounds like 4.10s then. Are there any power adders I'm missing? I have also planned on upgrading the fuel pump and injectors, but haven't determined how much I wanna increase my lb/hr of injection.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Ok, then. Sounds like 4.10s then. Are there any power adders I'm missing? I have also planned on upgrading the fuel pump and injectors, but haven't determined how much I wanna increase my lb/hr of injection.
You don't need to touch the fuel pump or injectors if your staying NA. If you were doing a blower then ya that stuff would need to be upgraded.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So unless I'm gonna go forced induction it's pointless? Or just not needed. I'm just curious if I'll see an improvement with those upgrades?

·
Registered
913 Posts
So unless I'm gonna go forced induction it's pointless? Or just not needed. I'm just curious if I'll see an improvement with those upgrades?
It's pretty much pointless. You won't see a gain from that. Put that money towards other upgrades

·
Registered
158 Posts
Skip the coil overs and look into a handling kit with struts/ shocks springs beefier sway bars and a pan hard bar. Don't forget the lower and upper control arms.

If you are doing long tubes plus all of the FRPP NA mods you should easily achieve 350 rwhp. You will loose some low end torque and HP below 4000 rpm. This is fairly well documented in MM and FF magazine . Plus it will sound much more bad ass that FI.

·
Registered
158 Posts
FRPP Eibach BMR UMI to name a few, all make handling kits.

As far as brake kits go, none of the big brake kits will fit on any stock wheel except for GT500 wheels. So if you are planning on a big brake kit then you have to look at doing something with your wheels

·
Registered
913 Posts
Or go on American muscle, Late model restoration, Brenspeed, etc and you'll find everything you need

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Ok, any suggestions where too look for these items? Brand maybe?

Darn, I was really hoping to get up to about 400
350 WHP is still difficult to achieve and most likely you will not.

400 WHP can be done but NEEDS heads and NEEDS valve train work to spin high enough to produce the power. Which will in turn push you into building the lower end.

Injectors and Fuel pump WILL benefit in the heads/manifold/valve train stage, but until then, it is a dump of money.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just found the kit on AM. I've never managed to see it before now haha! And the wheels I already have sitting on my build list.

---------- Post added at 08:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 AM ----------

350 WHP is still difficult to achieve and most likely you will not.

400 WHP can be done but NEEDS heads and NEEDS valve train work to spin high enough to produce the power. Which will in turn push you into building the lower end.

Injectors and Fuel pump WILL benefit in the heads/manifold/valve train stage, but until then, it is a dump of money.
Understood, Thank you for that. I can't complain becuase I already hit 321HP and 344TQ

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I just found the kit on AM. I've never managed to see it before now haha! And the wheels I already have sitting on my build list.

---------- Post added at 08:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 AM ----------

Understood, Thank you for that. I can't complain becuase I already hit 321HP and 344TQ
I mad 340WHP and 320WTQ with the following:

Detroit Rocker Cams
Pypes LT Headers/OR X/Violators
C&L Intake
CMDPs
STEEDA UDPs
4.10s.

The 4.10s are important to mention because the higher the gear, the lower the dyno output. A trade off well worth it to me.

I am hoping to make 350-355 WHP with a new, more aggressive tune and FRRP manifold. And 4.56s

·
Registered
273 Posts
I mad 340WHP and 320WTQ with the following:

Detroit Rocker Cams
Pypes LT Headers/OR X/Violators
C&L Intake
CMDPs
STEEDA UDPs
4.10s.

The 4.10s are important to mention because the higher the gear, the lower the dyno output. A trade off well worth it to me.

I am hoping to make 350-355 WHP with a new, more aggressive tune and FRRP manifold. And 4.56s
You might not see that 350-355 if you go to those 4.56 gears.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts