Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
comes on eratically... i had it checked at auto zone and they said it's either...

1) the gas cap (it's not, i checked it)
2) the purge valve
or 3) the vacuum going to fuel

how do i check 2 and 3?

thanks

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
You cannot physically look at your gas cap and tell if its bad, I had one that was bad, it was a Stant replacement gas cap I bought new, I kept getting a code, I finally bought a new Ford cap, no more code. It looked and seemed to do the job fine, but apparently it wasn't working properly somehow. :oops:

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You cannot physically look at your gas cap and tell if its bad, I had one that was bad, it was a Stant replacement gas cap I bought new, I kept getting a code, I finally bought a new Ford cap, no more code. It looked and seemed to do the job fine, but apparently it wasn't working properly somehow.
^i dunno, it's my factory gas cap, so it should be fine, shouldn't it?

auto zone wouldn't tell me the code, but the chick looked it up in her instruction book and said it was one of those three things

:?:

·
Banned
11,872 Posts
Tell them to give you the damn code. What the hell! I would be pissed if they wouldnt tell me the code that is causeing my check engine light to come on.

:twisted:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Not necessarily, I bought the stant cap in the first place because I was getting that same code. Thing is it didn't cure it, so I ended up going to Ford and paying I think like 15 bucks for a new Ford Cap.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Rick0636 said:
Not necessarily, I bought the stant cap in the first place because I was getting that same code. Thing is it didn't cure it, so I ended up going to Ford and paying I think like 15 bucks for a new Ford Cap.
no it is, he im'ed me.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
You have a way to tell if one of those gas caps is good or not? Of the alternatives its the least expensive and easiest to replace, that is why I was replacing them, when I finally splurged for a new Ford cap the problem was solved, maybe I was just lucky. Another thing that can cause this code is if your carbon canister is full of gasoline from constant overfilling your gasoline tank. The way to avoid having to replace this is to never try to squeeze as much gas in the tank as possible, let the pump cut off automatically, then round off to the nearest nickel only, no more.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You have a way to tell if one of those gas caps is good or not? Of the alternatives its the least expensive and easiest to replace, that is why I was replacing them, when I finally splurged for a new Ford cap the problem was solved, maybe I was just lucky. Another thing that can cause this code is if your carbon canister is full of gasoline from constant overfilling your gasoline tank. The way to avoid having to replace this is to never try to squeeze as much gas in the tank as possible, let the pump cut off automatically, then round off to the nearest nickel only, no more.
^yea, i know better than to top off the tank

1 - 14 of 14 Posts