Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I have to figure out why my '97 Mustang's alarm keeps sounding off after 5am. Neighbors are pissed. I had the local stereo shop remove the aftermarket alarm system but if I lock the car the alarm sounds. So I leave the car unlocked. I have to call my mechanic and see if he or his staff can figure out what's going on. I also figured out that the interior lights are always on, but all the bulbs are burned out. ???

Look, I don't expect a 23 year old car with 66k miles on it to be perfect. I pulled the $500 DVD, XM, Bluetooth, etc stereo system out and gave it to a waitress in addition to her tip. I had a $89 Kenwood radio installed but I have yet to figure out how it works. Note: I'm a retired computer engineer/programmer.

Also, the previous owner went overboard with the window tinting. The glass rear window (the car is a convertible) is so dark I have a hard time see traffic behind me. The side windows are also too dark. I will scour the net for a solution, or find out if a window tint shop can also untint. I have an old push button radio built into a stereo speaker in my shop. I'm considering tossing the Kenwood and having it installed instead. There is also an aftermarket DVD player and a video screen mounted on the rear of the passenger headrest that I have to have removed.

I have a 2014, 590 hp Cadillac CTS-V for serious driving so the Mustang is just for fun.

Third, I either have to, or pay someone to, polish out the red paint on my Mustang. I also bought new wheatherstriping for the convertible top as well as new headlights. Frankly, my days of working on cars and bikes myself (I used to flip Harley's) are far behind me so they languish in the Mustang's trunk. I've got the tools and the parts but no longer have the energy in my old age.

Thanks y'all for listening!

Jim

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
Seems like a reasonable "to do" list.
A window tint shop should be able to fix you right up.
I always wondered why someone would install a aftermarket alarm on a vehicle that already has a factory alarm system.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
On my 2006 when my alarm kept going off like that it was a the hood sensor. It is most exposed to the weather and it had some corrosion so it would read the hood as being opened. So my guess is that you have a sensor like that acting up.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On my 2006 when my alarm kept going off like that it was a the hood sensor. It is most exposed to the weather and it had some corrosion so it would read the hood as being opened. So my guess is that you have a sensor like that acting up.
That makes sense. That's the first thing I'm going to check! Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts