Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my v8 isnt performing nearly as well as it should. Its pushing out Maybe 40-50% of what it could Really do. My cousin drove it for a while and he broke it because now theres a huge whistle/whine coming from the back of the engine and a bunch of hot air to. Just in the back. What should i do? Take out the engine and rebuild it up? Or swap engines and rebuild. I know i want forged internals because my goal is 400+ hp so however i can get it there.. Thatd be great. thanks for the comments..

·
Registered
400 Posts
Depends on cash flow is the car your dd do you need it on the road now or can you wait? Because you can get 4.6 motors out of crown Vic's and f-150 for under 500$ that run fine, and a rebuilt will be around 1,000 minimum. It all depends on you

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im in the AirForce and can pretty much walk to work for the next few years. I got friends who can drive me around if need be. Why would a rebuild be so much? Just for the parts to swap into it?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Because you have to hone the block all new gaskets and rebuild heads and if you want new pistons and stuff it's a lot more

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So would it be better to buy an engine off of other ford 4.6s and put it in and thats it? I could take mine out and rebuild it, meanwhile have it running at least with another engine in it..

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 96 that had a v6 in it but a guy before me swapped it out for a 98 V8

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Make your friend pay for what ever needs fixing or have em put that money into the next step. Id say go forged, more money now but just think new motor 500 + 1000 more later on for forged, just throwing numbers out, go forged either way that seems to be your goal. At least IMO id go forged, :like a boss:

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dont want to just trash the car! Ive already put alot of money and time into it and everything! Is it better to just buy a pi engine off a trashed 99-04 or buy new heads and do that all on mine..?

Attachments

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So i should park it, drain everything out, disassemble it all, and swap heads an all. Would it make sense to go forged at that point? Its lookin to be a year long project which is fine for me.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im thinkin turbo way down the line but also maybe a small shot of nitrous

·
Registered
430 Posts
The higher compression the lower the boost you can run on pump gas, but it's hard to make good hp with a low compression 4.6

---------- Post added at 05:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:43 PM ----------

Coreyw428 said:
The higher compression the lower the boost you can run on pump gas, but it's hard to make good hp with a low compression 4.6 without boost

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just really want about 400+ hp. However i need to do that, i want to.. That and my engines all jacked up so i need/want to swap it out or rebuild it anyways!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Mustang_Madness said:
I just really want about 400+ hp. However i need to do that, i want to.. That and my engines all jacked up so i need/want to swap it out or rebuild it anyways!
I'd just get a 03/04 cobra rotating assembly, teskid block, pi heads, stage 2 cams, and trickflow intake, and put a pro charger on it, or some type of centrifugal supercharger.... That would give you what you want and then some, plus when you get bored with it just swap out pulleys and have a completely different car

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alright. That sounds like somethin i can do. How much us that lookin to run me you think?!

·
Registered
430 Posts
I really don't know on the pro charger, they sell kits on most mustang websites, I think even American muscle does, around where I live ppl are sellin 03/04 cobra shortvlocks used for like 1100... Cams usually run about 600 for both, heads, just depends on it you get new or used, not sure on intake either.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts