Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently noticed a nail or some piece of metal in my tire when I put tire shine on yesterday. I am not losing pressure and I think I've had it for some time now because when I go on drives longer than 20 miles my tpms says it has a fault but the pressure is fine. I think this had something to do with it. My question to you guys is do you think the tire shops will repair it? I hope so but I think I'm on that fine line. What do you guys think? ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1476037565.365216.jpg ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1476037578.002681.jpg ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1476037588.958326.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
274 Posts
That should be repairable. Usually they won't repair it only if it's on the sidewall.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
476 Posts
A lot of shops will not repair anything in the shoulder either, due to the level of displacement seen in that region of the tire.
I have patched tires in that region, however, I would not recommend using it at high speed or on a track with a patch in that location.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I've had a shop refuse to repair one in that location and then when another tire picked up a nail in the same spot, the same shop repaired it. Only difference was the guy behind the counter that day.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Normally in the first 1 inch is not repairable because of tire flex, and that is close to that if not in that range.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I take it to a shop and they say it's unsafe for driving will they force me to buy a tire/throw my spare on? I'm hoping they will just patch it. I'm getting ready to put it away for winter so buying a new tire right now seems silly.

·
Registered
111 Posts
A shop cannot force you to buy anything unless you give them pre-approval. They can refuse to repair it if they want, though, because of fear of liability.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well my first try didn't work. Tried Big O tire and they said they couldn't. I will try another place tomorrow.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After 3 places turning me away I forfeit. They kept saying if it was a normal tire they would do it but they don't want to that close to the sidewall with low profile summer tires. I've only wore off 2/32 on the two fronts so I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy one and replace it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If that many places told you the same thing, it's probably the best call. They are in business to make money so I expect they will when possible.

·
Registered
349 Posts
That should be repairable. Usually they won't repair it only if it's on the sidewall.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Just had my car to a shop with a nail further in toward the center of the tire than that (at the inside edge of the tread block) and they refused to repair it. I will plug it myself tomorrow.

Only reason I brought it in is I am recovering from a broken collar bone and didn't want to deal with it.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Had a nail in about the same relative location.
First place I went to said too close to the edge, tire must be replaced.
Second place said they could fix it but must break down tire and put a patch on the inside. About $50 I believe.
Third place, all they do is tires, looked at it on the car, plugged it and $10 later I was on my way.
That was about 1-1/2 years ago. Never leaked.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts