Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did my clutch and everything involved. Also did motor mounts. Does anybody have any tips or tricks to get my transmission lined up with the engine? Angles? We are using floor jacks.
Thanks for any help

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot to mention we are on a sloped drive way. And the motor mounts arent bolted in yet. Theyr in place but not bolted. So.... the motor shifted. And i wouldnt be asking for advice if i really didnt need it.....
Thank you

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
8,244 Posts
You need to get the engine bolted into place, and positioned as close to it's final resting place as possible.
The installation procedure is the reverse of the removal.
You did use the alignment tool to align the clutch disc with the pilot bearing, I presume?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes i used the tool. So , i secure the motor mounts first? That makes sense.... thank you

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
Yes you get the motor mounts bolted up... Hopefully you actually bolted them to the engine because that's damn dangerous if you have the block just sitting free on them. If its the one big nut that holds them to the K that isn't as big a deal.

Make sure you used the plastic clutch alignment tool and make sure that when you installed the clutch you constantly checked it, that plastic tool should be able to slide in and out all the way with 0 binding at all. If it binds up or is really hard to push in or pull out, you need to redo the clutch install. Make sure all the clutch bolts are correctly torqued too, don't just use a calibrated wrist.

As far as getting it to go in... get the motor tilted as far back as it'll go and get that sucker in there. Make a super long extension with like 4 or 5 extensions and a universal on the end and have a friend tighten up those top bolts at the end of it with a ratchet while you hold the socket on the bolt, but definitely install the side bolts first to secure it before doing that. The integrated bell makes it a pain but not terrible. Its gonna be like 15 minutes of 4 letter words if you do it right, once you get under there and start trying to get it into place. If it was a 95-down car its retarded easy since the bell goes on first and the T5 is like 75lbs so you can install that by yourself on your back.

Honestly if I didn't have lift access I'd pull the engine and trans out as one piece before attempting to do it on my back on stands with a sloped driverway... that's just... no...

·
Registered
180 Posts
I haven't done one in years but I remember a lot of wiggling to get the transmission input shaft through the clutch plate. You can let the back of the engine hang a little lower than its final position but you have to have the transmission at the same angle as the engine when attempting to mate them. You may want to put the transmission in gear so you can turn the output shaft which will then turn the input shaft to try to match the spline up with the clutch.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Don't forget that the throw out bearing is keyed. The inside diameter of the bearing is often sort of egg shaped to align with the input shaft key. Otherwise you will fight to install the transmission until you DO align the bearing.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats exactly the info i needed. Thank u very much. Im goin under rit now. Ill let u guys know the outcome

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
Don't forget that the throw out bearing is keyed. The inside diameter of the bearing is often sort of egg shaped to align with the input shaft key. Otherwise you will fight to install the transmission until you DO align the bearing.

What?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts