Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I recently found a 5.0 thats in good conditon out of a firebird and was wondering if I were to get it rebuilt and replace all the old parts with Edelbrach parts would it fit in that years frame? I realy need your guys's feedback on this. thank you.

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
first of all its Edelbrock, lol, but anyway, I am sure you can get the 5.0 into the '01, but it probably won't be easy. It all comes down to the time and money you are willing to put in it.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Its much easier to put a 4.6 into a 96 up, or a 5.0 into 95 and down. Ford didn't even put a 5.0 into your year Mustang, so that is going to make it a lot more difficult. :shock:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm. So it could be more trouble than its worth? But hell I can still try.. Ill probably end up with a monster when im done.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I would really check into it thoroughly, it might be a monster of a project more than anything else. Good luck though.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
some guy in a magazine did it, ill find it , he put a 5.0 in a 00 v6 and turned it into a Bullit Mustang

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks im sure ill need it. But it would be worth it. me puttin a 5.0 in a V6 Frame thats like putten my V6 in a 4 Banger.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Bullitts have 4.6s with a special intake manifold though, not 5.0s.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Probably not, a 4.6 is much wider than a 5.0 actually, in fact I heard a 4.6L is wider than a 460.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Realy now, new one on me. I got the fuckin money to do all this and its just I dont know were to start..

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
It's the angle of the cylinders, also the 4.6 is overhead cam which makes it taller. The older ohv engines were 90*, I think the modulars are something like 60* angle, don't quote me on that one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My friend told me of a supercharger off of a thunderbird and he told me it would like give me 300hp, is that possible?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
www.stangparts.com has a how to on how to put a 5.0 in , not sure if they have anything on how to install it in the newer mustangs or not.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Your friend is talking out of his hat, he would be referring to the SC Tbird, that is a Supercharged 3.8L Car, but that engine is very different than a standard 3.8, and you CANNOT just bolt its Supercharger on your standard 3.8L, and even if you could, they put out a little over 200hp, not over 300 hp stock. The best way to do that swap is to do the entire engine swap, and there isn't even enough of a hp difference with the newer 3.8s to even bother. Even with the entire engine swap you need radiator, intercooler, possibly transmission, and numerous other parts from the SC tbird to do the swap and make it work. Its not just a bolt on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Heres the super charger. I dont know what to make of it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33741&item=2425620672

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Yeah, thats it, even he admits it won't fit past a 98. It won't fit any mustang 3.8 without a lot more than he is trying to sell there, and his price is outrageous, don't waste your money.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
He actually only has enough there to maybe replace the supercharger on an SC Tbird if you had one that had gone bad.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts