Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new when it comes to cam knowledge. I'm not looking for a very very loopy idle but I still want it to have that cammed sound. What can I expect for hp and tq gains from different cams? What's the difference between FI cams and regular? (I know its for forced induction but why diff cams?) And do cams work well with turbos? Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
FI to NA cam is very similar. Just a slightly different grind to be turbo friendly. I believe Brenspeed themselves said the difference would be 7 -10 WHP. So if you buy either one, you'll be fine.

Yes they work great with turbo or a sc as it is all about flow. N/a, without supporting mods, a Cam may net you 18-22 WHP. With supporting mods such as long tube headers, they land around 30-35WHP peak, but with noticeable losses of low end torque. Steep gears are recommended when staying n/a with a cam.

With a manifold, the cams could independently push a few more HP but they're very worth it. They raise and elongate your power band

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would you recommend a steeper gear going to a 63 or 67 mm turbo with cams? I want to keep as much low end torque as possible, because lets be honest, everyone wants that head snapping torque.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Would you recommend a steeper gear going to a 63 or 67 mm turbo with cams? I want to keep as much low end torque as possible, because lets be honest, everyone wants that head snapping torque.
08mustanggt,

First off, good choice on going with some aftermarket Cams. I can't get enough of the idle from any radical engine build..

Have you checked out the Hot Rod camshafts? They work great both N/A or boost. Plus, they tune very easily and keep all of your stock drive ablilty manners.

Also, as far as gears go... I would run anything more than a 3.55 ratio. Since the Turbo builds boost off of lag, the 3.55's are pretty short still. Lots of our customers run a 3.27 Ford Racing gear, which seems to work perfectly.

Hope this helps some, let me know if you have any other questions!

Shane

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Generally, as stated, you do not want a steeper gear with a turbo because the engine will reach your set shift point before the turbo completely spools. While some people want this for traction in 1st and 2nd, generally, 3.55 or better yet, 3.331 or 3.27 would be even better. Again, as already stated.

As for AM's comment, while FRPP cams are absolutely QUALITY cams, the best gains to be had on mild engine builds would be from Detroit Rocker cams. But if you turbo, any cam should do you fine with fine dyno tuning.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts