Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We'll I put new clutch in my 95 gt mustang and when I put everything back together it will not engage it is not tight at all either I jacked the car up and I can move the clutch fork by hand I just don't know if I did something wrong when I put the clutch In, please help is there anything I can do to try to test it or figure out what the problem is??? Please help!!!

·
Registered
178 Posts
We'll I put new clutch in my 95 gt mustang and when I put everything back together it will not engage it is not tight at all either I jacked the car up and I can move the clutch fork by hand I just don't know if I did something wrong when I put the clutch In, please help is there anything I can do to try to test it or figure out what the problem is??? Please help!!!
Is your slave cylinder hooked up? I've never changed a clutch on that car, but if you took it off to change the clutch, maybe you forgot to put it back.

·
Registered
200 Posts
No slave cylinder on a 95. Straight cable clutch.

What happens when you push the clutch down? Does it sit on the floor? Or do you feel tension?

You probably need to adjust the cable. Lift up on the clutch pedal to tighten the cable. Unless you have an aftermarket. Them you should be able to adjust the cable from the firewall.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We'll I jacked the car up and took the cable off the clutch fork and I can move the clutch fork back and forth, idk if that is good... But when I put it all back together the cable was loose when I hooked it and if I pull up on the pedal the cable comes off it has no tension!!

·
Registered
200 Posts
We'll I jacked the car up and took the cable off the clutch fork and I can move the clutch fork back and forth, idk if that is good... But when I put it all back together the cable was loose when I hooked it and if I pull up on the pedal the cable comes off it has no tension!!
Clutch fork will move with the cable off. That is normal. Take the cable out completely and make sure it's not broke. Check the clutch quadrant under the dash to see if something broke there as well.

If its not either of those you may have to take the trams out again and check the throw out bearing or pressure plate. If the clutch plate was misaligned may cause something like this but it would have been unlikely that you could of matched up the input shaft.

You could shine a flashlight in where the clutch fork is and see if you notice any of the pressure plate teeth depressed.

---------- Post added at 07:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 PM ----------

Did you instal a new throw out bearing with the new clutch? Check to make sure that is not backwards.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea I put a new throw out bearing in and ok I'm ganna try to check the cable and stick a light In to c if there is any problems thank u all I will let u know if any of this is the problems thank u all!!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Find anything?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea I jacked the car up and I couldn't find anything up in there so I unhooked the clutch cable and noticed I could move the fork back and forth..also I could pull back and push up on the fork at the same time and when I push up and down on it it kinda feels like it goes into a groove then I put the cable back on and it worked its still real loose but It did work...and it has a bbk adjustable cable but as far as adjustment goes should I jut try to adjust it on the fork or take it and adjust it somehow???

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yea I jacked the car up and I couldn't find anything up in there so I unhooked the clutch cable and noticed I could move the fork back and forth..also I could pull back and push up on the fork at the same time and when I push up and down on it it kinda feels like it goes into a groove then I put the cable back on and it worked its still real loose but It did work...and it has a bbk adjustable cable but as far as adjustment goes should I jut try to adjust it on the fork or take it and adjust it somehow???
You should have two ways to adjust the cable. There should a quadrant under the dash where the cable attaches with teeth. You can move the cable to different teeth for major adjustments and you should have something attached to the firewall that will give you a finer adjustment. Should be like an aluminum housing that can screw in or unscrew to tighten it loosen. Should be able to lock it down after you get it adjusted

---------- Post added at 09:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 AM ----------

You should have two ways to adjust the cable. There should a quadrant under the dash where the cable attaches with teeth. You can move the cable to different teeth for major adjustments and you should have something attached to the firewall that will give you a finer adjustment. Should be like an aluminum housing that can screw in or unscrew to tighten it loosen. Should be able to lock it down after you get it adjusted
Pretty sure you can't adjust it from the fork side.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok I thought I had it but when I pull down on the clutch fork it grabs but after hitting the clutch about 5 times it pops out of place again any ideas on what the problem could be??? It works fine when I pull the fork down but when it is pushed up it dosent grab...

·
Registered
200 Posts
Ok I thought I had it but when I pull down on the clutch fork it grabs but after hitting the clutch about 5 times it pops out of place again any ideas on what the problem could be??? It works fine when I pull the fork down but when it is pushed up it dosent grab...
The cable pops off from the clutch fork side? Is there a way to fasten the cable to the side of the tranny to keep it from moving? I remember there is a strap that ties it to the inner fender but don't remember if there is another one for the tranny.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No the cable stays on, it's just the fork itself. I can push it up and down and when I pull it down it grabs and pushes the clutch in but after about five times hitting the clutch the fork goes back up and will not grab anymore

·
Registered
200 Posts
No the cable stays on, it's just the fork itself. I can push it up and down and when I pull it down it grabs and pushes the clutch in but after about five times hitting the clutch the fork goes back up and will not grab anymore
There is should be a clip on the fork that slides on to a pivot ball. Sounds like maybe the fork is not on it or the clip broke or the pivot ball is messed up. That should be attached to the bell housing.

·
Registered
200 Posts
So I'm prolly ganna have to drop the tranny to get to it??
Maybe. The fork may pull out enough to get the clipped part over the pivot ball. You should be able to see if that is the issue with a flashlight like the pic you attached.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Get it worked out?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I got off work today an got a inspection mirror and found my problem, the two clips at the top of the fork only one is on the backside of the ball the other is not around the ball I there any way to pop back in place without tranny drop??? Any help thank u!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts