Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
One more suggestion. With that mileage, and the covers off, you might as well change the timing chain. I'm installing stage 2 cams on my 2002 gt and quickly learned that it's not a simple swap, with 135k miles on the motor.

·
Registered
704 Posts
So all this sounds really pricey how much do u think it will be and wat kind of mpg do u get with cams
Welcome to modding. Nothing worth doing is cheap and it's all impossible to decide which company to go with. I think cams, cam gears, followers, and all that crap + install usually runs people around $1,300, don't quote me on that though.

I wouldn't expect much of an mpg drop with cams. Maybe 1 or 2 if even anything.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Wow thanks a lot bud is there any problems I might run into after camming
Aside from screwed up cam profiles, you shouldn't really have any issues as long as you have a good tune. The only issue I can think of comes from going too big with the cams and having to flycut your pistons because of oversized cams.
When aftermarket cams are used that have higher lift and longer duration, they sometimes can cause the valves to come in contact with the pistons. This usually happens from ten degrees before to ten degrees after TDC. Most race engine builders will temporarily install the pistons then set the head on with no valves; using a long center punch made out of an old valve, they force the valve down through the valve guide to make a small mark on the piston top. Then, with the pistons disassembled and mounted in a special holding fixture, the cuts are made in the pistons, centered on the marks made with the punch. The cuts are final checked again to ensure that they have the required clearence. Safe clearence for valve to pistons is generally .060" for the intake and .090" for the exhaust, but those numbers can vary wildly between cam profiles and pistons.

·
Registered
10 Posts
These are my costs so far for my cam swap:

Stage 2 comp cams $595
Stock ford followers $300
Adjustable cam gears $239
Timing chain kit approx $250
Valve cover gaskets $30
Have a friend, who's a ford tech, help priceless.

I'm currently doing a ton of mods, and quickly realized that sometimes there's more to modding than just simple swaps.

Good luck buddy and let us know how it's coming along.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's right I forgot the cost of the retainers and springs. I think it was approx $220 for the springs and I can't recall what the retainers cost, but I figured since I'm in this deep, I might as well get it done right.

·
Registered
704 Posts
That's right I forgot the cost of the retainers and springs. I think it was approx $220 for the springs and I can't recall what the retainers cost, but I figured since I'm in this deep, I might as well get it done right.
This guy gets it. It's expensive, but doing it right the first time around makes sure that you always only have ONE oil drain hole.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts