Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I've got a 1999 V6 Copue with my stock 15" wheels on. I'm about to purchase some new rims and I've been looking at 17" Torq Thrust II, American Racing wheels.
I bought the car used and the guy that owned it before me said that he had lowered it with about 1,5" all around (not really sure, thou). Now the problem is that I don't really know how wide rims I could use. Will 17 x 9,5" fit?
(I've got 205 x 65 tires on my 15" wheels right now.)
I was thinking about getting 245 x 45 tires all around. Anyone know if the rim will build inwards or outwards if you go with 17 x 9,5", from say 17 x 8"? Or does it build in both directions?

I'm living in Europe and the rules here are quite strict, so I don't think that the tire is allowed to rub.

Linkan / Sweden

·
You want to **** me?
3,812 Posts
stock GT wheels are usually 17x8" and have 245/45/17 tires on them... with a 9.5" wide rim id suggest a 275/40/17 tire

·
Registered
604 Posts
ZimStang said:
stock GT wheels are usually 17x8" and have 245/45/17 tires on them... with a 9.5" wide rim id suggest a 275/40/17 tire
A 17x9.5 will be difficult to find. You're better off going with GT takeoffs in the 17x8 size or getting a Cobra type wheel in a 17x9 size.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, Thanks!

But as I'm living i Sweden it might be difficult to find Cobra rims. The few Mustangs that you could find here are imported from the US.
I can get hold of the Torq Trust II's thou... and the 17 x 9,5" are only an extra 25 bucks to the 17 x 8"!! (17 x 11" are a further $25) So I was thinking: The wider, the better, as long as it fits!

Can anyone tell meif the extra 1,5" only builds inwards?
And one more thing... Do I have to use spacers?

·
Premium Member
25,803 Posts
i would buy chrome bullit wheels (from ford cuz the fit will be perfect) and 17 by 8 wide all around with 245/45/17 tires, if you get 9 wide rims a 275 is the MINIMUM size you can run on the rim and it not look stupid/ protect the rim from curbs

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks.

So a 245/45" tire on a 17 by 8" wide rim shouldn't be a problem, even if the car is lowered by 1,5"? It woludn't rub against the fenderwell or anything?

·
Registered
930 Posts
Linkan said:
Thanks.

So a 245/45" tire on a 17 by 8" wide rim shouldn't be a problem, even if the car is lowered by 1,5"? It woludn't rub against the fenderwell or anything?
correct. right.

Linkan said:
Ok, Thanks!

But as I'm living i Sweden it might be difficult to find Cobra rims.
They actually sit there during an inspection and try to rub your front tires? If so, stick with the 8", but otherwise, for only a few bucks more, even I'd go with the 9.5". If you put on shorter endlinks (he may or may not have done so) it'd help clear the front sway bar if you are able to go with the TTII's or similarly wide wheels. take a pic of the metal rod that connects the front sway bar to the control arms if you can.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts