Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I working on axles , differential and gears swap . I put everything in but im stuck at the gears with the teeth patterns .. the teeth patterns are dead centered. But the differential is moving side to side . Is it normal? Or should it be firm ??

·
Premium Member
6,003 Posts
Are you sure it's not just the differential backlash? There should be between eight and fifteen thousandths of play between the ring gear and the pinion gear. If you have horizontal play then your bearings are probably trashed.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
There is play in the side gears in the differential, if thats what you're talking about. It shouldn't be a lot, but the gears actually move outward when there is a lot of force in the differential. This outward movement is caused by the gears natural thrust force, and is what presses the gears against the clutches to lock the differential. Under light load or turning, the gears do not get forced outward to press against the clutches, which is allows the wheels to spin at slightly different speeds around the circumfrance of a turn

I am not sure how much play you are seeing, or where it is exactly. But that is one thing to keep in mind.

---------- Post added at 11:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 PM ----------

There is play in the side gears in the differential, if thats what you're talking about. It shouldn't be a lot, but the gears actually move outward when there is a lot of force in the differential. This outward movement is caused by the gears natural thrust force, and is what presses the gears against the clutches to lock the differential. Under light load or turning, the gears do not get forced outward to press against the clutches, which is allows the wheels to spin at slightly different speeds around the circumfrance of a turn

I am not sure how much play you are seeing, or where it is exactly. But that is one thing to keep in mind.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts