Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright here's the deal. Tlked to the shop today and it look slike ive got 2 options.
1) They have a new GT-takeoff system that they could put on with a custom h-pipe for 275 installed
2) same as option 1 but with a pair of flowmasters for 500 installed (i could probably talk him down to 450).

What do you thinK? Should i opt for the flows or just stick with gt-takeoffs? Im torn. Lets hear what you have to think.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
That is way too much for flowmasters, and they are crappy mufflers that will drive you crazy droning on a trip you can barely hear yourself think from what I hear. GT takeoffs 130 bucks+ 50 bucks max custom H=180+ 50 labor, = 230 dollars total max. Flowmasters about 59 dollars each, if you buy them from him install should be free. So ~ 288 + sales tax maybe....aprox....whoops, add another 59 to that so ~ 347 aprox + tax, hehe

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
IMHO generic turbo mufflers at 1/3 the price sound better than Flowmasters, but then that is just me.....hahahaha

·
Banned
11,872 Posts
Buy you some gt take offs from www.v6mustangstuff.com or http://www.midwestmustang.net and then get some mac flowpaths and a custom H pipe.... thats what I would do in your situation

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Yeah, good idea Brent, Macs sound similar to flows, but without the drone. That guy thinks that those GT takeoffs are made of gold, and by the way, no GT takeoffs are really new, the reason they are takeoffs is because they were taken off a GT when another exhaust system was put on it. That guy probably has NO MONEY in that system at all.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But this guys got a set of takeoffs sitting in his shop. Says that he'll sell em to me installed for 275 with a custom h-pipe. thoughts?

·
Banned
11,872 Posts
thats a good price for install and all. And then later on if you want you can throw more mufflers on in place of the stock gt mufflers.

But dont spend 450 on a exaust with flowmasters.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Yes, gawd man, read what I just told you. He sees you coming, you look like a big sucker, he wants to rob you, way too much money, understand?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
OK then, I still think 275 is too much even installed, he got those takeoffs most likely for free when he put a new system on someone's GT. Even if he paid 130 for it, unlikely, that would be 145 for fabbing an H pipe and installation, steep I think.

·
Banned
11,872 Posts
with a custom h pipe tho? The onylt hing he lacks is the macs.... and it still comes out cheaper than the catted h pipe exaust system that Mac sells

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It might be a nice profit for him, but my only option is to get some shipped here for 180 and then pay at least 90 for the install and h-pipe. This way i dont have to wait for shipping.

·
Banned
11,872 Posts
yea i would just buy from him get them on your car and then later on when you can get some mac flowpaths or dynomax mufflers for your car

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I might also just order some flowpaths and have put those on with the gt tubing for the same price if hell go for it. where's the best place to find cheap flowpaths?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Yeah, I see your point, I guess it is a good deal for you, even if he is making a lot. I would go ahead and give him a deposit on them if you want them and you aren't getting them right away so he doesn't sell them to someone else though.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Don't be in such a big hurry to ditch the GT mufflers. First they are stainless so they'll last a long time, second they're already welded onto the pipe so you don't have to pay for that. Thirdly they don't sound that bad, they rumble nice a low at idle and growl nicely under normal acceleration, haven't been out side of the car for a full-tilt blast but it sounds inside. And fourthly did I mention "they're already welded onto the pipe"!! :headbang:

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
They might sound good.I haven't heard them, But with my stock exhaust, and just my CAI it sounded good under a load. Also you can get flowpaths that are stainless.

·
Registered
176 Posts
where can you get stainless steel flowpaths? :-?

·
Registered
52 Posts
GuRu, 275 is too much installed, even with a custom h-pipe. First off, our cars don't need h-pipes because of the piston firing order, so the h-pipe is pretty much worthess, might help sound a tiny bit. For GT takeoffs, don't let im charge you more than 200, and he probably did get them for free, so it should e even less than that. And if you want different mufflers, look at some Flowtech Warlocks, I've heard they're the best sounding muffler in V6's

1 - 20 of 26 Posts