Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
it depends on the size of the cam. You car year has a rather anemic Cam so anything would be an improvement. but if you go big cam you wil need head work and P&P intakes. You dont want to overcam. but people have seen a 20 to 30 HP gain with a cam installation

·
Registered
941 Posts
without a tune, 10-15rwhp. with a tune, a cam will add another few horsepower, up to 20rwhp or so.

heads are a good thing to go ahead and do at the same time as a cam to take advantage of it.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
cam is good, but you wont see the gains you could see w/o a set of ported heads.

the exhaust ports are really small on our cars and the new cam makes a little more exhaust, so it bottlenecks up still in the head. like they said before, 10rwhp is reasonable w/o the heads. with the heads, the cam can get about 20rwhp (plus 20rwhp the heads give you for a nice gain)

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
yes. however, you can get a cam that will still pass emissions. it will just be more mild than wild

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
I really enjoy the RPM 216-225 HP cam I installed in my car it is the biggest cam with good streetability. It has a nice lope at idle. car sounds like a 5.0

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
i would go slightly more mild than corey's though. I dont think he has very strict emissions tests there. possibly like a 212/220 cam (think they make that)

goto www.extremeeffects.com or www.rpm-mustangs.com and email the owners. theyll set you up with the perfect cam

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
My car did not trip the sniffer and it was gunning rich, But it was right on the line. But now I have run rich so long my cats are all but burned out. Right now I am 25 % louder than I was 3 months ago. Time for a high flow catted H pipe. I will need it anyway for the procharger

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
oaktonarcher said:
have you guys ever been to fairfax? Do you think a 216/220 will pass? And will it really giive me 220 hp? thanks
The 216 would probably pass easily, but it was designed for SC'ed single ports. The 207 cam is for 99^ Dual Port engines, and it will pass even
easier. Emissions is more in the tune than anything (unless the cam is
to big) I've had good luck speccing clean cams :D

Email me if U need help, there are spring and pushrod issues to address.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts